Orange ECM Power Wire from Battery

Aaron's GN

Guys

My car wouldn't start after sitting three days with the battery disconnected after the Darryl Starbird car show. I was able to use a test light and determine that I wasn't getting power after the black cylinder thingy on the orange ECM Power wire... I cut and stripped the wires tied them together and the car fired right up. My question is what is the black cylindrical thingy? Is it a resistor or something I need to keep from frying the ECM? Can I just leave it out and continue as normal? Pictures are attached. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 2018-03-13 19.33.41.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 236
  • 2018-03-13 19.34.17.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 234
Just put some kind of automotive style fuse holder at the battery so if the power wire shorts out it will blow the fuse instead of burning your wiring. That piece you cut out was probably a fuseable link. I found my orange wire going to the ECM had burnt on the back of the valve cover and was shorted out. I couldn’t find the issue until I pulled the engine months later so I just ran a new wire to the ECM with a fuse at the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to make sure it looks like this? Not sure of an amp rating because fusible links are wires a 4 sized smaller that the feed wire. Meant to melt open in case of problem

a7455e02b3d01cfff8cebb50a340f9a1.jpg

It looks like you had something spliced into the original computer feed wire. That is a no-no. Nothing should be spliced into that wire.

Yea, I just provided the picture as a reference as to what a fusible link looks like.

The black "thingie" is a splice cover. You don't need it. Just splice them together like you did.

The link protects your wiring harness in case the other end shorts to ground. Don't use a fuse; use a fuse link only. They are there for protecting your wiring in the event of a catastrophic failure. Without the fuse links, you will lose your engine harness to a fire.