Opinions on value WE4 or GN 109 Block

Rotti54

Hey guys I need some opinions on what is more valuable to own a WE4 87 Regal T-top car with a rebuilt motor immaculate condition or an 87 GN T-top with a weber racing 109 block. The GN is in very nice condition maybe not show room but a nice driver occasional show car if cleaned up a bit? I was looking for a GN with average mileage very nice condition. But a buddy says he's got a WE4 in impeccable condition mild mods numbers matching. I just want to make sure that it's worth it to pass up a true GN though not a numbers matching car. You guys think it's a matter of preference or what?

Yeah I agree, my fiancé says go with a GN cuz that's what I sold and want to replace, but the WE4 has the same look little more rare? Not sure what s the better investment for the future though?

If your buying it to keep and not really worrying about how much it's worth in someone else's eyes I'd go with the GN. I mean it also depends on which is a better deal to you, especially if you plan on keeping it.

Both are mid teens in price so it's a tough call. The GN will need paint in the future new seat covers steering wheel other than that it's very very nice and very fast. The WE4 is sweet inside and out and still a go'er with the mods probably 12's

My 2 pennies

1 - You will be engaged in more conversations with regular folks when they say "Nice Grand National" - or "Is that a Grand National" - and you spend the next 15 minutes reciting the history and build numbers of a WE4.
That's fun.
I like "different" - but not Sage Green Limited different.
84 GN w/ LC2; 82 Gn, WE4, WH1, anything black with Astroroof. Like that.

2 - I see alot of cars that "only need paint"
As if that is some $199 affair at Maaco.
That's $5K - minimum for a good looking Lamp 19 job.
No small nut to crack.

If the WE4 has great paint - I go for it.
Because you said it is immaculate
I'm biased - as you will see.

3 - As far as investment.
Banish that word.
Cars are not really investments.
Stocks, bonds, gold, bitcoins, hog bellies - those are investments.
Aside from the esoteric discussion of not buying a car to please some future unknown buyer - these cars don't particularly appreciate in value - to any great degree.
They are for your enjoyment while you breath air.

But to me - a WE4 hold up it's value as well as any.
Especially a T-top or even still, a CF5 WE4.

4 - It's probably a toss - a hotter GN vs a more stock, unmolested cleaner WE4.
Those go fast parts are expensive to buy.
I for one don't mind paying dimes on the dollar for someone else's lack of interest.

5 - There are no rules against owning 2.
In fact, for some, it is mandatory! :D

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 141
  • 425177_384629578223170_100000283947473_1344318_457921394_n.jpg
    425177_384629578223170_100000283947473_1344318_457921394_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
My .02: GO with the WE4- it's the one that is ready to go.

A good way to put this into perspective is to price out what things will cost. Some people think they're getting a deal by buying a cheaper car and then are shocked to discover the true costs!! I don't see where one is cheaper than the other in this scenario but one sounds "finished" while the other does not. The "GN" isn't worth that extra future expense:

A paint job doesn't sound like much until you start pricing them... I don't know of anyone these days that will do a full paint for $5k- at least not a decent one. A good paint job will be closer to $10k (body work included) (If you doubt this, search some of the restoration threads or ask some of the painters here)
Interior will probably be over $1k

As you can see, this stuff adds up really quick.

Good Luck with your purchase.

Turbo i think you hit the nail right on the head. I purchased a cheaper GN for around $7500 instead of spending 10-11k on one thats excellent condition. Lets just say after upgrading a turbo, chip, injectors, tstat, mint seats, ttop repair, few other things Im already at 11k .

So in the end it all adds up, i couldnt imagine throwing a paintjob in there $$$

Turbo i think you hit the nail right on the head. I purchased a cheaper GN for around $7500 instead of spending 10-11k on one thats excellent condition. Lets just say after upgrading a turbo, chip, injectors, tstat, mint seats, ttop repair, few other things Im already at 11k .

So in the end it all adds up, i couldnt imagine throwing a paintjob in there $$$

Yeah I'm well aware of the costs of paint jobs.... I'm one of those anal guys too so I'm sure the costs would approach 10k.

Long term investment return on either car is a crapshoot at best - in a good market! Short term - go with the one that is the best investment for you right now.

Well I'm not so sure I totally agree Longball. I've owned a GN prior to selling it this past summer and ice seen the market on these cars jump strongly. They are averaging 10-15% value increases a year. Now that being said a car is only valued at one is worth to pay for it right? LOL. I'm up in the air about which car to buy. It's pretty much a toss up at this point. I love the powerful motor in the GN but it's not numbers matching. And the WE4 is sweet but still not quite the market a GN brings. I plan on keeping whatever car I decide on long term. :)

It sounds like these arent the cars for you. Sounds like ypu want a car long term w possible turn around profit or breaking even. If thats the case find a gn that will.fit what youre looking for. Now if you start modding then youre better off going w a built one. I love my car but wish I woulda waited bc there are some.killer deals.out there. Also.its getting harder and harder to find "numbers matching" gns but for aome reason its not considered a huge thing as of now. Future prob so. Again these cars may not be 100% what you are looking for ao wait it out. If youre looking long term for turnaround always go.w a gn no matter how.rare those Ts are. It only seems to.matter to tr guys and thats a small.shrinking limited market. Just my .02

[quote="Rotti54, They are averaging 10-15% value increases a year.. :)[/quote]

If my GN's value increased just 10% a year since 1987 it would now be worth $208,568!! I paid 17,500 for it in 1987 and would be lucky to get that for it now.
The car has new paint, wheels, tires, RPE stroker, EA Stage 3 trans, etc, etc, etc. The best I could hope for is to sell it at a loss considering all the money I have into it.
Not seeing the long term investment value here. But - I love it and have no intention of selling it! A trade, maybe..............:unsure:

You are talking about buying a 1987 car priced in the mid-teens. How did the long term investment value work out for the last owner?
If you like it buy it - but long term investment value will be a crapshoot at best.

My .02: GO with the WE4- it's the one that is ready to go.

A good way to put this into perspective is to price out what things will cost. Some people think they're getting a deal by buying a cheaper car and then are shocked to discover the true costs!! I don't see where one is cheaper than the other in this scenario but one sounds "finished" while the other does not. The "GN" isn't worth that extra future expense:

A paint job doesn't sound like much until you start pricing them... I don't know of anyone these days that will do a full paint for $5k- at least not a decent one. A good paint job will be closer to $10k (body work included) (If you doubt this, search some of the restoration threads or ask some of the painters here)
Interior will probably be over $1k

As you can see, this stuff adds up really quick.

Good Luck with your purchase.

I agree with all of it.
In case you were replying to my previous post - I said 5K - minimum
I know it can be done since I've paid that - give or take.
But - that is from a guy who I give alot of work to.
I absolutely agree it can and often is - more
Especially knowing how most GN owners want a show quality black finish.
Does it have to be 10K? Not really. But it can.
Hell, all I ever hear my painter complain about is the cost of materials.
It's ridiculous.
I just use that $5K number as measuring point.
If I have to add at least that to a car - I start to really look at the numbers.

Which is why I must roll my eyes when ads state - "only needs paint to be....blah blah blah"
Riiight
"Only"