Open Diff

Jack Russo

After loosing my GN in an accident many years ago, i've been looking around for another. I have seen a few, some fakes, some dirty dogs, and today saw the first nice one.
This one has about 35,000 miles and is in mint condition. 100% stock. 2 owners.
The one thing is that it doesn't have a posi rear. It lacks the g80 code on the RPO, so it's an open differential.
Question is, should this deter me from making an offer?
I know the differences between an open and a posi, but does performance hurt? how is the open? Ive never actually seen a non posi until today.
Also, does it lower the value of the car?
Thanks!

My GN that I purchased new in Dec 86 had an open end rear. Picked up a rebuilt center section in 87 and had it installed. 121,000 miles later and no issues to this day . I don't think it devalues the car much in fact it probably may add something because it likely was never raced .

Cool. Thanks, this car is very nice and seems to have been babied. Was it a big job to swap?
Did you notice a difference in performance with the posi compared to the open?
Thanks again!

More traction with a posi unit. Both rear wheels spinning as opposed to one. I have a stock posi unit that I might sell if ur looking for one. Joel.

And as long as you use the same gears and put everything back the way it came out ,u can swap it fairly easy.

a posi isn't the way to go for anything you will ever drive in the winter time- unless you like the idea of getting stuck in an inch of snow because your tires just spin- but it's the way to go for summer time...