Ontario Canada transmission builder

Willshire

Sorry Guys! i don't own a Buick or a Turbo Car but i do have a 200-4r in my 64 Grand Prix. Looking for a local southern Ontario transmission guy who specializes in 200's. I have a slipping 2nd gear under party and hard throttle. Also 2nd gear flare on a 4-2 downshift at WOT. Any help would be appreciated! You guys were recommended by the guys over at PY!

Thanks for letting me post here!

I'm in Ottawa, my buddy rebuilt mine, works flawlessly. PM me if you are interested. He's works at a shop, also has a shop at home. If you were wiling to ship it out, I would use Dave Husek as he is closest to us Canadians and I have heard nothing but good things.

I have heard of Hutch in London as well. You have a few options.

Hello 1kwiksix, noticed you are in mississauga I'm in oakville. I recently purchased my GN back in nov about 9months ago. Everything seems to be running good on the car but I am always looking to see if the car is running at its best. Noticed that sometimes the transmission would shift hard, other times not, also sometimes when I would floor it say getting onto the highway at higher speeds it would downshift and it seems like I would lose power. Not sure if this is what it's suppose to do?, as far as I can tell the tranny and all the suspension under there is stock.

So my question is, I would like to bring the car to Milton transmission to have it checked but in my turbo buicks website surfing I remember reading that the owner passed away some years ago. If you have had experience dealing with them is there someone specific that needs to look or do the work to the car? I keep reading that someone that knows what they are doing needs to look at these cars and don't want to just hand it over to anyone.

Thanks.
Chris.

I'm also in Ontario with a 2004-R and not a Grand National. I wanted the 2004-R swap and everywhere I went for trans work or prices, they practically laughed why I would not go to the 700r4. This tells me there is not enough knowledge on the 2004-r in Ontario.
I also heard something happened to the original owner of Milton Trans, HE was well known for his transmission work. Now it's just the name, or at least his reputation has changed. I personally did not get good answers on the 2004-r swap recommendations I needed from him. I believe he also recommended a 700.
Hutches Trans, I read a thread he was in on YellowBullit.com transmission forum. As a business owner he doesn't hesitate on trashing other trans shops, so I wouldn't waste my time giving my money to him. I got the impression he thinks he's a transmission god. Lol

I ended up taking a vacation to Virginia Beach and called Loni Diers ( he's in Bethal NC, about an hour away from Virginia Beach), and had him prepare me a Stage II to pick up. Beats paying the shipping :)
Very Happy!

I would say if you're in the market for a 2004-r trans, look to our American friends that know their stuff! Loni Diers, Dave Husek, CK Performance, Jakes, just to name a few. All well spoken of and respected here. That to me speaks volumes!
Would be money best spent. This forum proves that 100%

You get what you pay for....you pay for what you get.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Plenty of knowledge up here in the Great White North, I beat on my GN every weekend...high 10's to low 11's...and no problems with my transmission...the third season on it. Two words. Milton Transmission.

Chris,
For the record:
Although "Harry", the original owner of Milton Transmissions did sell his shop....the employees bought it. These are the same guys who did the grunt work in the first place for Harry.
As Brad has indicated they know these transmissions well & since you are located close by (in Oakville) it would be worth a phone call & a drive to see them with your car one day. Have them take it for a test drive (with you in the car too, of course).
See what they have to say. They do good work period!

Alternatively, if you want to spend some big bucks (i.e. get a full blown transmission with billet parts etc....) order one thru any of the US vendors mentioned above as you can't go wrong. However unless you are able to drive down South with your core & bring it back you will have to go thru the hassles of cross border shipping & HST which will drive up the costs further.

Either of the above suggestions will work....your choice.

dave

Thanks dave, I will go see Milton transmission sometime next week.
If I could ask what the difference between the 400r and the 700r are? The car is occasionally taken out on the weekends with the kids and is pretty fun to drive with the HP and torque these cars produce. So if anyone has any suggestions on what I could do transmission/converter... To fully utilize the upgrades the car has? Also have heard if I were to change the torque converter, I would also need to change the chip in the ECU because the ECU controls a solenoid which activates the lockup, is this true? This is what I have in the car:

TA49 turbo charger garret .63 exhaust housing
RCJ 3 inch stainless down pipe/ large puck/ test pipe
Pypes 2.5" stainless dual exhaust
TA performance stainless header
Comp cams valve springs
K&N 9" cone filter
#009 42.5# fuel injectors
XP fuel pump
Billet adj fuel regulator
Reds 93 street chip
Reds volt booster

Transmission is stock
Rear end is stock GU6 rear axle 3.42 ratio, G80 limited slip positraction, G87 8.5" ring gear

I'd leave the stock D5 convertor in it for that turbo. Billet input shaft, hardened stator support tube and hardened sun gear shell would be a good idea.

Hard rings for the pump, .500 boost valve, .283 rev boost valve, "pink" 700 spring, heavy duty sonnax spring for the pump slide, sonnax or ck 2nd servo, carbon band, red or blue clutches for the direct drum, billet shaft forward drum and dual feed the directs. Discuss these and the above suggestions with the builder. Their assembly and attention to detail makes more difference than the parts used. Sounds like these Milton fellows have it figured out.
You also might consider a ck valve body kit or some tricks the builder uses.
I would also consider a different torque converter. The stock d5 is ok but technology marches on and there are better options . Call d husek and dusty and talk to them . Get good info so you can make an informed decision .
Like anything, it costs money, how fast do you want to go?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So I went to Milton transmission the other day and we took the car out for a spin. He said that the transmission is working properly and well. He suggested if I would want to go to a 2800 stall with the hardened rings... Keeping it streetable and dependable other than that I would be looking at engine upgrades to match.
How fast do I want to go? Well I like taking the kids out in it, not too fast but I also like the little stop light matches, for now...lol. haven't been to the track with it yet but maybe I will take it once or twice just to see. I think I'll drive it for the rest of the summer, poke around the forum for peoples experiences and go from there. Thanks everyone.

So I went to Milton transmission the other day and we took the car out for a spin. He said that the transmission is working properly and well. He suggested if I would want to go to a 2800 stall with the hardened rings... Keeping it streetable and dependable other than that I would be looking at engine upgrades to match.
How fast do I want to go? Well I like taking the kids out in it, not too fast but I also like the little stop light matches, for now...lol. haven't been to the track with it yet but maybe I will take it once or twice just to see. I think I'll drive it for the rest of the summer, poke around the forum for peoples experiences and go from there. Thanks everyone.

Hey Chris

Glad to hear that your transmission is working just fine.
This trip saved you a bunch of money.

As suggested, a torque convertor upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea....;)
May be best to drive it for now, & in the future if you feel like a bit more excitement, throw in a new convertor......suggest you go with a 10" PTC 2800 stall lock up. This will but a big smile on your face! (y)

Hi Dave, thanks for suggesting Milton transmission very honest and trusting guys there. He didn't pressure me into anything, gave me the truth. He did say though, I know you will be back. Lol. And now with your comment about a new converter putting a smile on my face, he's right, next thing on my list is the converter. But your right ill dive it fit a while just to enjoy it and do the converter I a while. So much I want it do, not enough time and money. You guys are right these things are like crack.

Dave another question. When I do the converter would I have to re-tune the car? Who tunes these cars up here?

If you have the stock turbo in the car...leave the stock D5 convertor in it. If you haven't ordered a chip from Eric...then get him to lock the convertor in 3rd gear for you for racing via his chip. An unlocked convertor is incredibly inefficient. You'll require Powerlogger for dialing in your car to squeeze the most out of it.

Chris,
Since you live close by me, give me a call sometime & we can make arrangements to get together or shoot the breeze.

Sent you a Private Message.

thanks

dave

Not the stock turbo, I have the TA49. Is this turbo similar to the stock one? Would you still use the stock converter? Scooby Doo, where are you? Lol. No seriously what area are you from. Thanks for your suggestions.

Sounds good Dave I will send you a PM.

If it were my car...and me tuning it...then I'd stick with the D5 convertor. I'd dial in the low gear fuel/timing and have Eric lock the convertor for me. If I were you...then I`d go with an off the shelf PTC NL 2800 convertor. When I did the convertor swap, I`d change to a NL configuration. CK sells the NL kit. Inexpensive and easy to install. If all you`re going to do is some stop light action...then go with a 2800 PTC LU convertor. I'd still have Eric lock the convertor via his chip if you have the urge to hit the track now and again.

Last edited:

Sound like great guys! I would suggest a big cooler, bigger pan with bottom feed rear filter and a shift kit. I've got over 120k on my original transmission and I've run a best of 11.5 in a 4050lb car.