only 15 psi

87ttypeV8

cant beat the boost!
well finally decided to try to turn up the boost

car upgrades in signature... currently running reds 93 chip

well it was at 14 so i tried to turn it to 17 like reds instructions say... turned to 17 and was getting alot of knock.. like 2 yellow dots on the caspers gauge...

i am running sunoco 93 by the way...

so i turned the boost to 15 and still get a little knock mainly in the high rpms of 2nd and 3rd...

this is not good! is this common to occur or do i just need better gas for 17 psi

oh and also...

i tried to set my IAC and once that was set i was supposed to do the TPS i guess... but i dont have a voltmeter thing so i had to jut guess with the IAC to the point where it wouldnt stall in park... so i would imagine that my IAC and TPS are both off slightly... dont know how much that would affect the knock problem

and also the fuel pressure... i had it set a while ago and am waiting on my fuel pressure gauge in the mail... should be here tomorow or tuesday... that be a possible cause like running too lean?

i can only run 15psi on pump gas too.. i dont think my turbo is stock though, im going to take it off and messure the inside..

My friend, without a scan tool you are flying blind, and asking for it.

My GN hates pump gas, so I don't find the fact that you can only run 15 PSI on 93 unheard of. However, I'd reserve judgement until you get your car in a good state of tune, which of course implies some sort of scan tool is needed.

I have had Casper's knock gauge in a couple of cars and I must say, I don't care for it. I recommend a Scanmaster. I don't know how I lived without it for so long - stupid on my part.

One other thing, Razor's alky kit eradicated my GN's propensity to knock. I run 21-23 PSI now with 93 with no knock at all, ever. 100 octane was sending me to the poor house. Like the Scanmaster, Razor's alky kit is something I can't live without now, wonder why I ever tried.

Whose chip?

Originally posted by strikeeagle
My friend, without a scan tool you are flying blind, and asking for it.

My GN hates pump gas, so I don't find the fact that you can only run 15 PSI on 93 unheard of. However, I'd reserve judgement until you get your car in a good state of tune, which of course implies some sort of scan tool is needed.

I have had Casper's knock gauge in a couple of cars and I must say, I don't care for it. I recommend a Scanmaster. I don't know how I lived without it for so long - stupid on my part.

One other thing, Razor's alky kit eradicated my GN's propensity to knock. I run 21-23 PSI now with 93 with no knock at all, ever. 100 octane was sending me to the poor house. Like the Scanmaster, Razor's alky kit is something I can't live without now, wonder why I ever tried.

Strikeeagle,

Whose chip are you using and how much timing?

TIA
HOW

reds 93 octane chip
unsure of timing

would that mkae a big difference... he says you can run 17 psi on 93 octane in the instructions with the chip

Detroit area? Probably reformulated gas (RFG).

I can't even run stock boost on a stock ship with RFG 93 octane. The stuff also pegs the BLM numbers at 160. Find some non-rfg fuel and try again. Until then, do not push the car, or you'll be very sorry.

And get a scantool!

What spark plugs are you running? I used to run Red's 93 chip on a mostly stock combo & had knock with the AC 44's, went to 43's gapped at .032 & had minimal or no knock(17 psi., 93 oct.).

i think i am running either cr44s or the 43s.. i know my car has potential fors 12s but i went to the hottor spark plug... ill try swapping for the cooler ones today and see if that helps!

thanks i didnt even think of changing that

I use a 16 position MaxEffort thumbwheel on street settings for WOT fueling with 18 degrees.

Red's instruction scheet when written years ago when the gas was better. Regardless, it's only a guideline. The Scanmaster is you best guide.

oh yes i agree... well i can get away with 15 pounds in 1st gear but for somereason it creeps up to 17-18 pounds in 2nd and 3rd... dont really like that so i have to turn it to 13-14 in 1st just to level out for 15 in 2nd and 3rd... is this normal!?
and when i set the wastegate rod for 13 pounds... it kills my spool up time...

are these signs of a failing wastegate solenoid?

Boost creep, very common. Your waste gate hole in the turbine housing needs to be a little larger, Ask someone for the correct size for your turbo/exaust combo. Mine came as a package to work together for a steady boost. Around almost 1". Ask John Craig, or one of his vendors.
Call Ron @ Ron's Custom automative. He has been doing this GN thing as long as anyone. He is in NJ. I don't know why I never see his name around this forum, but he has great customer service. I have tried parts, did not like them, and he takes them back, no questions asked.

Scott