on my 3rd Alternator

The use / addition of a diode can serve the same purpose as the dash idiot light. Had the same issue on my car and that’s how I repaired it. Its worked well for about 12 years now. I also get the alternators custom built to my specifications. Not a fan of the rebuilt crap from the aftermarket suppliers out there. Parts are always loose inside causing typically causing the regulator to fail. My alternator consistently puts out 14.6 to 15.1 volts. I made my own volt booster too:D Probably adds .5 of a volt on average. You can basically trick the regulator to charge based on battery voltage. It took me a while to figure everything out but it can be done.
where do have your alternators custom built at? also where is this cluster located that everyone is talking about? I have nowhere around my town to have this done except for a Autozone or Advance auto :/. however i have never had to replace the alt before so this is my first go round. it has over 100,000 miles on the motor & as far as i know the alt is probly the original

where do have your alternators custom built at? also where is this cluster located that everyone is talking about? I have nowhere around my town to have this done except for a Autozone or Advance auto :/. however i have never had to replace the alt before so this is my first go round. it has over 100,000 miles on the motor & as far as i know the alt is probly the original
Dashboard cluster

I try the cleaning…..

the ALT is new 140 works fine

I would like to by pass this however

If you push on the cluster then it sounds like either ribbon is bad or the connections in teh dash it self. The dash coonections are easily cleaned by using a #2 pencil eraser (it removes the surface tarnish that could be hampering a good connection) and then wipe them down with rubbing alcohol on a q tip or contact cleaner. I find it hard to believe that Casper @GNVenom would send you back a bad dash. Im betting its the dash. Clean them up and see if that helps.

no, I can see they did things to it….. but to be told …I may need to open it back up and repair something else myself was a bit disturbing… hopefully its the contact front the ribbon to the car…. but of that the case….did the dash need a $400 upgrade? i dont know

just a quick update on my issue. I purchased a duralast gold 120 amp alt from autozone, this alt is 100% new & not a reman one (around$190 & that does include a core charge since i wanted to keep my bad alt) which failed a spin test by the way, however the color of the alt is not factory appearing (has a silver center piece & a gold pulley) but the pulley diameter is correct. i installed it & took a ride with a full load on it (headlights on, heater wide open, radio on ect & it stayed above 13.5volts via the scanmaster & above 14 volts with everything off. i am totally happy with that. Also it has a lifetime warranty should any problems arise. I will post the part # if anyone is intrested.

See my post on alternator issues. Seems nobody can build a good one. I went through 4 including one from a very reputable builder. Finally got an impala one that is holding up for now. Plan to rebuild my original alt myself. The upside is that I can now swap a GN alternator in about 5 minutes flat!

See my post on alternator issues. Seems nobody can build a good one. I went through 4 including one from a very reputable builder. Finally got an impala one that is holding up for now. Plan to rebuild my original alt myself. The upside is that I can now swap a GN alternator in about 5 minutes flat!
Learned a few tidbits Saturday about these from Pat aka SloGN. After he scared the shit outta me and Harry in his GN. We talked about his alternator woes. Always upgrade the fan, and never bolt anything like the hotwire fuse holder to the back of the alternator. It needs to breath and get fresh air. Lack there of will shorten its life in short order.

Learned a few tidbits Saturday about these from Pat aka SloGN. After he scared the shit outta me and Harry in his GN. We talked about his alternator woes. Always upgrade the fan, and never bolt anything like the hotwire fuse holder to the back of the alternator. It needs to breath and get fresh air. Lack there of will shorten its life in short order.
good to know! Do you recommend the stock one over the impala for my car? I'd like to go to stock for the look of it.