? on hobbs switch from allied electric

'86T

Sure that's a Buick??
I read on a post about the Hobbs pressure switch available from allied electronics. I believe Red said to get #611-3021 which is listed as "normally open". They also have one listed that is "normally closed". Please pardon my ignorance but what is the difference between the two? I just want to doublecheck and make sure I get the right on so I don't hydrolock my motor.:)

Thanks!
Steve

Normally open means that contacts are open until a specific requirement is met. In this case, pressure acts on the switch to make the electrical connection of the switch.
Normally closed means the contacts are closed until a specific requiement is met. in this case, pressure acts on the switch to break the electrical connection of the switch.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll go to alled an order one now.

P.S. to Joe: Thanks for the smog help. My T-type from Michigan passed CA smog check with no problem.

Originally posted by '86T
Thanks for the explanation. I'll go to alled an order one now.

P.S. to Joe: Thanks for the smog help. My T-type from Michigan passed CA smog check with no problem.

Your welcome. You know, since you live close to where I work, you're more than welcome to look at my DIY alky setup for ideas. Just email me at joseph_cheung@dca.ca.gov and I'll shoot you a phone number.

Thanks Joe.
I'll probably take you up on that in the future. Right now I'm still getting the car dialed in with the spring clean up. The car I bought is in great condition but I still am in the process of replacing the neglected fluids. The lady I bought it from pretty much did not do any maintenance on the car. She had the car for the last 12 years and only put 7K miles on it. In that time I believe she only did engine oil changes, a pair of shocks and a couple of batteries. She did store it in the winters which is very nice.

I'd just like to say that one of the guys on this board, JeffG, gave me the allied address. When I went there I saw the Hobbs switches for pretty cheap prices. I asked Jeff if they were adjustable and he said yes, that he had purchased one. I don't have personal experience with these switches. I'm still on my original hobbs switch I purchased four years ago at a swap meet. Here is the original post by username JeffG...............

For what it's worth here are some alternative sources or parts that I have used in my own DIY kit.
Nozzles: Mist nozzles from McMaster-Carr. typical PN is 3178K76. They are manufactured by Hago Manufacturing Co., Inc..
http://www.hagonozzles.com/water.shtml
They have a built in filter and a very fine spray pattern. You can even get them with anti drip valves built in. Cost is about $3.50 each

Pressure switches:Adjustable units from ttps://www.alliedelec.com They are made by Hobbs. Typical part number is 611-3021. Cost is $15each. A bit cheaper then the NOS units I have found.

Delivery line: Pre-made NOS line with AN4 fittings on either end. Because I use a 3 gallon tank mounted in the trunk (package tray area) I needed a long line. About $40 from Summit or Jegs.

Pump: I use a fuel injection pump from a VW Rabbit. I yanked it at the local Pick&Pull for $12. This thing has lasted about 1.5 yrs now running Methonal/Water. Not a problem yet.......fingers crossed

I also kicked around a two stage deal. I am using voltage reducing component found on many older (late 80's early 90's) Toyota cars. It looks like a small heatsink with several taps coming out of it. It is used on their fuel pump circuit. Each tap is about 3v. I am using it as an 6v on the fist stage, then 13v on the second. That take two pressure switches.

By the way, that tank is a Jegs unit used in some of the mini drag cars or "Jegsters". It was a bit pricey but a nice 3 gallon unit. $100.

Well it ends up the $15 pressure switch is too good to be true. If only one switch is purchased from allied electric, the price is 15.99 PLUS $9.01 handling PLUS shipping! Comes out to be around $30 total.

I guess NAPA Auto is the easiest and most reasonable place to get the Hobbs switch for now.

Originally posted by '86T
Well it ends up the $15 pressure switch is too good to be true. If only one switch is purchased from allied electric, the price is 15.99 PLUS $9.01 handling PLUS shipping! Comes out to be around $30 total.

I guess NAPA Auto is the easiest and most reasonable place to get the Hobbs switch for now.

Good info! Funny how people tell you about cheap prices that really aren't cheap. :rolleyes: I guess you're looking at about $30 wherever to get an adjustable hobbs switch. The good side is they last very long. Mine's been in service for almost 4 years and 85,000 miles on my DIY kt.

Anything to help out fellow Turbo owners. Our cars aren't cheap to buy hipo parts in the first place.:D