Old super Chevy build article

I was having a ball reading that article. I knew that Super CHEVY would really be accurate as hell.

..I made it all the way to the 4th paragraph before I had to exit out of that tab. Didn't finish it, but I made it!

Good times.

Actually, all jokes aside..... if anyone reads that article trying to learn something, IGNORE THE FUCK OUT OF IT! I just skimmed the 4th paragraph and let it swirl around in my head a few milliseconds.

It's ONLY for selling magazine ads, nothing more. The actual 'tech', is not valid at all. In fact it's flat out wrong.

Actually, all jokes aside..... if anyone reads that article trying to learn something, IGNORE THE FUCK OUT OF IT! I just skimmed the 4th paragraph and let it swirl around in my head a few milliseconds.

It's ONLY for selling magazine ads, nothing more. The actual 'tech', is not valid at all. In fact it's flat out wrong.
That's actually why I posted it, figured I'd see if there were any real tricks in building these motors.

Wait..Did they say "Camshafts are not that critical" with these engines.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree with the camshaft's are critical part. Turbo's take a lot of cam stuff and port stuff off the table.

but the rest of that article is straight up BS. I love the part about having to drill out stuff and use HV pumps or you're dead... with no mention of opening up the oiling holes on the bearings. You can drill the oil feed holes out to 5 inches and it won't matter if the bearing feed hole is the same size.

Plus there's that word ''per'' that's kinda important. I'll use it in a sentence... " pounds PER square inch". I don't care how big the hole is, pressure is pressure. going larger only matters when the pathway is too small. Once you have enough, bigger doesn't do anything whatsoever.

That's actually an old GM high tech performance article that they moved to super Chevy after they closed their website down. Just like any 14-15 year old article, how has all the Buick technology changed since 2002

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I agree with the camshaft's are critical part. Turbo's take a lot of cam stuff and port stuff off the table.

but the rest of that article is straight up BS. I love the part about having to drill out stuff and use HV pumps or you're dead... with no mention of opening up the oiling holes on the bearings. You can drill the oil feed holes out to 5 inches and it won't matter if the bearing feed hole is the same size.

Plus there's that word ''per'' that's kinda important. I'll use it in a sentence... " pounds PER square inch". I don't care how big the hole is, pressure is pressure. going larger only matters when the pathway is too small. Once you have enough, bigger doesn't do anything whatsoever.
You're saying cam upgrades aren't that critical?

What about what he said about the main bearing clearances - that these engines make 600ft torque at 3k rpms so they need tighter clearances?

Last edited:
Cam and head porting are near as critical on turbo applications as they are on N/A.

With N/A you only have 14.7ish PSI at your disposal to fill a cylinder. Every little nuance, sharp edge, undersized lobe, etc.. can cost power. With forced induction you can pretty much blow right past small stuff like that and not even notice.

Imagine you have a 5 gallon bucket of water with a 1/4 hole drilled in it. If the hole is all jagged and stuff it don't flow as well as a nice clean deburred hole. Radiusing both sizes of the hole will help a little more...

No imagine putting 30PSI (total of 41.7is PSI) to the bucket... Suddenly deburring that hole didn't really add much to the stream spraying across the room. A radius will only add a minute amount at that point. :D