Old School Billet Weld Racing Wheels?

Yankee John

I know that everyone seems to be going for an updated, newer look when getting different wheels for their car, But is anyone going for the retro, period correct style wheels these days? The reason that I ask....

I was driving down a side street in my town today and spotted a set of wheels and tires sitting in someones yard with a "for sale" sign. They looked pretty good from the road so I stopped to check them out. The owner was in his garage working on a fabulous '56 Chevy, and walked out to talk when he saw me stop (I was in the GN). Turns out he was an old friend of mine that I haven't seen in years- We used to work together in a tire shop in the 1990's!

Anyways, The wheels are old school 1980's-90's vintage billet 5 spoke fluted-star Weld Racing rims with the screw on cover, a pair each of 15x7 and 15x8. The tires are BFG Radial T/A 235-60-15 on the 7's, and 255-60-15 on the 8's. Rims are in ultra nice condition condition and will polish up to new shine with just a little bit of Mother's (the hubcap wrench is included!). Tires are about half-worn out.

After chatting a bit, My friend told me to drive my car up the driveway and we would try them on the car! I gotta tell you, They fit absolutely perfect and looked GREAT on the car, albeit a bit dated. I was able to buy the wheels & tires from him for $450. I'm going to pick them up at the end of the week with my truck.

I love my mint set of stock GN wheels, but I really liked how the vintage Welds looked on the car- I felt like I was back in college in the early '90's again! I can always switch back and forth beween the wheels when I feel like it.

Does anybody have any vintage "back in the day" pics of a turbo Buick with the billet aluminum-style wheels on it?

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions!
John