Old School Action Fabrication Stock Location Intercooler

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
A car I have purchased has an Action Fab SLIC from what I can tell.
It seams like they were sold by multiple vendors back in the day.
The research I have done seems to indicate they were just ok.
Has anyone been in the 10s with one?
I will be running E85 so the cooling effect really doesn't seem to be as important as the flow capabilities.
Any input or opinions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a side note the fit is so much better than the CAS SLICs.

Anyone have any results with one? These were sold by ATR, BGC and Conley I believe

Anyone have any results with one? These were sold by ATR, BGC and Conley I believe

not as good as the CAS V4 ( at least on GAS I can say this ... never tried the ACT Fab on E85 as I sold it once the V4 out ran it on the same setup )
I would suspect the same results will carry over with E85 though

which reminds me I need to sell my PTE FM :)

not as good as the CAS V4 ( at least on GAS I can say this ... never tried the ACT Fab on E85 as I sold it once the V4 out ran it on the same setup )
I would suspect the same results will carry over with E85 though

which reminds me I need to sell my PTE FM :)
What kind of gain did you see going to the V4?
I'm honestly a front mount guy. Like the way the front mounts look and clean up the engine bay. Just don't know if spending the money is justified if this can get me a 10.9

What kind of gain did you see going to the V4?
I'm honestly a front mount guy. Like the way the front mounts look and clean up the engine bay. Just don't know if spending the money is justified if this can get me a 10.9

I'd have to go back and check my notes .. it was years ago ... it was before I even starting using E85 which would have been 02 ..

If you have the V4 I would for sure use that over the ACT FAB ... also as far as the front mounts .. you would be surprised at results there ... I know I was ..

It takes a while to figure out what works and why .

Im sure you can run 10.90 with the ACTfab on E85 .. but if you have that V4 .. it would be easier to do and I would much rather have that on my street car

I'd have to go back and check my notes .. it was years ago ... it was before I even starting using E85 which would have been 02 ..

If you have the V4 I would for sure use that over the ACT FAB ... also as far as the front mounts .. you would be surprised at results there ... I know I was ..

It takes a while to figure out what works and why .

Im sure you can run 10.90 with the ACTfab on E85 .. but if you have that V4 .. it would be easier to do and I would much rather have that on my street car
I must not have been clear in my post. My old car had the V4. It's long gone. My new car came with The action fab.
I will either see how far I can take it or bite the bullet and buy a front mount.

I must not have been clear in my post. My old car had the V4. It's long gone. My new car came with The action fab.
I will either see how far I can take it or bite the bullet and buy a front mount.

If all your worried about is a 10.99 ... the ACT FAB will get you there .. but so would a DUTT NECK Stocker :)

I had an Action Fab SLIC on a WE4 years ago and went 10.40's @129-130 with it. I later swapped it for PTE FM and the car ran 10.40's with the PTE FM also. The IAT's went down some but the performance was almost exactly the same. The CAS intercoolers were/are good but I would be willing to bet that there is no gain over a properly functioning stretch intercooler on a high 10 second car.

I had an Action Fab SLIC on a WE4 years ago and went 10.40's @129-130 with it. I later swapped it for PTE FM and the car ran 10.40's with the PTE FM also. The IAT's went down some but the performance was almost exactly the same. The CAS intercoolers were/are good but I would be willing to bet that there is no gain over a properly functioning stretch intercooler on a high 10 second car.

I agree 100% with your findings ... Right upto the last statement with the CAS..

The CAS in both slic and FM configs ALWAYS ran a few ticks faster

The PTE's NEVER produced results

I agree 100% with your findings ... Right upto the last statement with the CAS..

The CAS in both slic and FM configs ALWAYS ran a few ticks faster

The PTE's NEVER produced results

I don't believe that to be the case with the CAS intercoolers. That was Tony's marketing pitch, but never proved out in the results. I had a mid 10 second WH1 with a KB Big Boy FMIC( which was really very small by today's standards) that I switched to a CAS V2 when they were new that gained nothing. A CAS intercooler is/was a qaulity piece but has no mystical powers that made it superior to other intercoolers with the same flow. He bought cores from the same places others did and added tanks and pipes just like everyone else.

I don't believe that to be the case with the CAS intercoolers. That was Tony's marketing pitch, but never proved out in the results. I had a mid 10 second WH1 with a KB Big Boy FMIC( which was really very small by today's standards) that I switched to a CAS V2 when they were new that gained nothing. A CAS intercooler is/was a qaulity piece but has no mystical powers that made it superior to other intercoolers with the same flow. He bought cores from the same places others did and added tanks and pipes just like everyone else.

It proved out very well on many cars.. Not a pitch.. And compare the cores with the pte .. They are way different

I have no horse in this race.. But i can tell you .. I wont run a PTE on my own cars

It proved out very well on many cars.. Not a pitch.. And compare the cores with the pte .. They are way different

I have no horse in this race.. But i can tell you .. I wont run a PTE on my own cars

The Cas V2 that I bought new did not pick up any performance on my car over the KB BB I had even though the CAS V2 was almost twice as big. It was a nice qaulity intercooler but there was no magic in it. This was in the days before methanol injection and E85. CAS bought commercialy available cores which were likely Bell or Spearco cores during that time. PTE still makes intercoolers that are on 2500hp+ cars without issue.

When you said this above:

"The CAS in both slic and FM configs ALWAYS ran a few ticks faster"

Are you saying that CAS intercoolers make more power than any other intercooler?

The Cas V2 that I bought new did not pick up any performance on my car over the KB BB I had even though the CAS V2 was almost twice as big. It was a nice qaulity intercooler but there was no magic in it. This was in the days before methanol injection and E85. CAS bought commercialy available cores which were likely Bell or Spearco cores during that time. PTE still makes intercoolers that are on 2500hp+ cars without issue.

When you said this above:

"The CAS in both slic and FM configs ALWAYS ran a few ticks faster"

Are you saying that CAS intercoolers make more power than any other intercooler?

I dont want to get into a pissing match in this guys thread.. We can open another post..

And not trying to be difficult here but CAS cores are NOTHING at all like the Spearco or bell.. Totally different type of core.. Which if you used and tested each this would have been a easy observation to make..

What i am saying is POINT blank.. I will keep my CAS over a PTE Anyday !!!!

Been PROVEN which really works and which is a pitch.. And you have it backwards.. Done here

There's a local TB with a PTE slic that's been in the 9's many times here. They recently switched to a RJC 315 and didn't see a huge difference. They must have an unicorn.

There's a local TB with a PTE slic that's been in the 9's many times here. They recently switched to a RJC 315 and didn't see a huge difference. They must have an unicorn.

whats that prove .. there are local TB without intercoolers running 10's ... more to performance than a timeslip

:rolleyes:
To the other readers of this thread, just trying to show PTE slics are ok.

I dont want to get into a pissing match in this guys thread.. We can open another post..

And not trying to be difficult here but CAS cores are NOTHING at all like the Spearco or bell.. Totally different type of core.. Which if you used and tested each this would have been a easy observation to make..

What i am saying is POINT blank.. I will keep my CAS over a PTE Anyday !!!!

Been PROVEN which really works and which is a pitch.. And you have it backwards.. Done here

What is it within the core that makes a 20 year old technology CAS intercooler so superior to anything made before or since? You are correct that the CAS cores look different than most aftermarket intercooler cores because they are tube and fin instead of bar and plate. Tube and fin is older technology but still very effective. Is it your position that any car with any intercooler will pick up performance by only switching to a CAS intercooler? That's a bet I am willing to take.