Oil pump wear ?

Morkai

Morkai the Red
Is it normal to have some wear on the pump housing after breaking in a new pump etc?

Mine was leaking around the gasket, so I pulled it to make sure it hadn't toasted itself. It has some new wear on the plate (I flat sanded it smooth before assembly) but not too bad. I checked the clearance at .002" dry before assembly. Packed it with moly engine lube and primed with a drill.

Oil pressure was a good 80 psi over 1500 during break-in, and only dropped to about 56 psi at 800 idle after 30+ min of break-in.
Stock volume pump btw. ;)

I think I'm going to change gaskets and reinstall it to see if it still leaks...

That normal

Is the wear even? Mine are always on one side more than the other, as if the timing cover surface is machined a few degrees off.

wear

Yeah, it seems to be more to one side than the other on both gears, one a little more than the other. If memory serves, the wear pattern is almost ident. to how it was before I removed the original gears.

Good news: I put it back together with new gasket, cleaned up and packed with vaseline, tightened it up good, and no leaks so far. :D

BTW, the 80psi is the cyberdyne gauge upper limit, it's probably higher than that. It was idling at 80 earlier, warm, not hot yet.

I was worried that a squealing noise during the first 10-15 min of the cam break-in was the oil pump, but turns out my alternator is going out, it's trying to lock up now.