Oil Pump Rebuild

BigTady

Hello all,

Bought a oil Pump rebuild kit for this weekend project. Previous owner said the oil pump was out and this contributed to issue that led to him parking it, so as I go front to back doing maintenance I'm going to tackle this project.

The kit seems pretty simple, can anyone who has done this give me some pointers, need to knows, don't do this, do that, etc.

What's all involved in getting this done? Do I have to pull the timing cover?

Tad.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

May as well pull the engine, its easier to remove the timing cover.
As long as you have the cover off, remove the oil pan.
As long as you have the pan off, remove the intake manifold and cylinder heads to see the pistons.
As long as the heads are off to see the pistons, remove all six pistons to look at the skirts of the pistons
As log as the rods and pistons are out, hell, take out the crank
Continue until the whole engine has been machined and you have nice shiny new parts to put in the block:confused:

May as well pull the engine, its easier to remove the timing cover.
As long as you have the cover off, remove the oil pan.
As long as you have the pan off, remove the intake manifold and cylinder heads to see the pistons.
As long as the heads are off to see the pistons, remove all six pistons to look at the skirts of the pistons
As log as the rods and pistons are out, hell, take out the crank
Continue until the whole engine has been machined and you have nice shiny new parts to put in the block:confused:

Yea... That is the long term plan but for now I'll just be working to get it moving. Full tear down will be the winter project plan.. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Defiantly pull the cover. I know it's a pain in the butt getting the balencer bolt off but it'll be worth it for piece of mind with the timing chain and a nice clean intercooler.

Earl your post was great, and a few quirky jokes in there to keep my attention :) I'll be working this over the weekend since it sounds like a big job. Thanks.

Tad
87 GN
Sent from HTC Sensation

Those aren't jokes, that's my real life :D

It's really not that bad. Don't think of it in the entirety, break it down into compartments.

You'll probably find that you spend more time getting up and fetching goofy tools more than actually cutting.