Oil pump Primer out of a old Buick Distributor

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
Tired of fumbling around with other priming tools that dont fit so great. So I fabbed one out of a old distributorl I found in the junkyard for 3 bucks out of a 83 regal with a V6.

Not the prettiest work but works great.

Took a few hours and beverages with basic hand tools .
Pics arent step by step but gives the jist of it. First I cut the flat floor where the electronic components where attached.

Removed roll pin in gear to remove shaft (had to use a a Hammer and pin to remove shaft due to caked oil funk). Ground teeth off gear. Used a junk 1/2 deepwell socket and hammer to remove reluctor wheel (looks like a star and can be seen in some of the first few photos).

Taped shaft with duct tape to protect it in case of a stray blow from hammer. Cut the remaining collar down a lil down from the top all the way around with a saw down to the center shaft.

Then I sawed a groove in the upper collar down just about to the center shaft and used a small chisel and carefully split the collar where I sawed the groove and removed it exposing enough to give area enough to chuck up a drill.

Wiped shaft down with brake cleaner to remove old oil funk and used some grease to lube shaft (no sex comments...HA) while reassembling.

Like a siad not the finest, but works and isnt difficult to fab and cost less than 5 bucks and just some elbow grease and time.

Attachments

• Dist 1[1].jpg
    Dist 1[1].jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 354
you can use an old distributor (those NA 3.8 ones are perfect)
i used a worn out cam sensor
grind the teeth off the gear so they dont hit cam
remove reluctor disc and oring
remove gear (drive out roll pin)
slide shaft out of body
cut off top of body below the cap base

hammer or press an old cheap 7/16" 12pt socket onto reluctor end of shaft (its a tight fit)
you could weld the socket if you want but it is a tight fit and it has never spun on mine
wash the parts, grease the shaft and reassemble

now all you need is a heavy duty 1/2 " drill with a 3/8 drive attached

Even faster way is to sawzall through the entire assembly just below the wide part of the dist. Then pull out the shaft from the bottom and sawzall through the aluminum housing again about and inch below the first cut. This lets the shaft stick out enough to attach something. Grind the teeth off the gear, wash, lube and go.