Oil Pressure

Mightysix

Hi,

I really hope I'm not beating a dead horse here BUT:

I finally installed my VDO mechanical oil pressure gauge;)

I'm currently running Castorol Synthetic blend 10w 40.

Just took the GN for a quick ride, here are my numbers:

On start up 60psi cold
When warm lets say 180 degrees give or take... under boost I;m seeing between 40-50 psi.

At idle hot I'm seeing 5-6 psi

Car feels strong, running 18psi boost.

Also using AC Delco P52 filter.

Should I be concerned woth these numbers??

Thanks a bunch, Mike

Try reading it hot at 2400 rpms in 3rd or 4th gear.

Steady speed of course.

Hopefully it's around 37psi. :)

Drove my GN today, mine ain't. :(

Beatin a dead horse? I like to beat the dead horses. I got a little better but use 20W50 oil. I'd recommend you do the same.........in fact, lose the synthetic and do more frequent oil changes. I also run a HV pump but don't want to recommend one because there are so many anal people on the board. :D I've used it for years with no problems, but when they use one, their motors break. When I go to WOT it goes to 65-70 psi. Just going to 20/50 won't do that for you but it should give you a few more pounds. Recommended psi is supposed to be 12psi per 1000 rpm.

Thanks guys... Car has 107k on the motor and I'm a worry wort.

I will take it for a test this weekend.

Mike

You can add a new wear plate (booster plate) between your oil pump gears and oil filter adapter. This usually gains you 5 plus psi at hot idle. The part# is Melling P-20I from Advance Auto Parts. It's an easy 15-30 min. install. If you can't find one local contact me i'll get one shipped out. Thanks,Frank:)

Did I read correctly you have 5-6psi of hot idle oil pressure?

Well, my engines wouldn't be fired again until fixed if they had less than less than 10psi hot idle oil pressure. I hope your gauge is off.....

Well, what's your plan of attack? How many miles are on the motor? Either you can pull it and rebuild it, or infinitely easier is just pull down the pan, and if all is OK, replace the main and rod bearings. You'll be new and will have spent around $75 and an afternoon of your time.

That's a good question. The motor has 107k miles on it. I dont drive the car very often. I would love a rebuild within the next two years, However I'm sure it wouldnt hurt to to the rod and main bearings.... Dam car drives me crazy....:mad:

Wanna buy it Red?????;)

Mike

Drive it down! ;)

Really, if you like the car, but this concerns you, it can be fixed with about 8 hours work. It's really not difficult. It ain't no stinkin' chevy. Weather's warming up for ya. Just put it up on jack stands and get busy.

I love the car, she is my pride and joy. One of my problems is " I never have any free time" Plus my wife is expecting:eek:

I love to torture myself.

I will tell you this... I've had your vacuum brakes for over a year and they work great.

God help me.....

?

If it does not have a booster plate--get the one frankg recommends. Go to 20-50 syn oil. I know for a fact, as I have an oil temp gage, that syn. oil will run about 15 degrees cooler, all else being the same, then regular oil. 15 degree cooler oil gives me around 7 more psi. Also syn. oil will return to normal running temp after a hard pull. I would try this before going into eng.

Booster plate huh??? I really should try that first. Easy install right?

have to check into it this weekend weather permitting "Dam rain"

Keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks Lee

I'm no expert...but built my share

Experience tells me 5-6psi of hot idle oil pressure will beat the rod bearings out of it. Even if it doesn't, for some reason, why chance it? I'll second Lee's suggestion to pull the front cover, blueprint the pump and add a booster plate before you put bearings in it. If you aren't getting any noise from the bottom end yet, a different gauge is worth a shot..Although I doubt the gauge is off 10psi. I have seen Auto Meter gauges read wrong...HTH Scott

You don't have to pull the front cover to add the booster plate just pull the filter hsg. off and clean surfaces and sandwich the plate between the filter hsg and oil pump gears. Might be a good idea to get new oil pump gears and install at the same time if they look worn. They are cheap too under $15 i think. Frank:cool: