OIl Pressure Too High!!!!

Twil

Welcome to the DarkSide
Please help, I noticed that my oil pressure is reading 80psi at idle and it peggs the gauge anything over 2000rpm. This is while driving or in park reving the engine. Car was stored all winter and I have driven it 3 times since. O the last drive I noticed the gauge issue. Not sure when it began, just happen to look at the gauge while drive home. I changed the oil & filter last night with the same results (gauge readings), but now it is blowing smoke out of the exhaust. I have about 5500 miles on a rebuilt engine and turbo. No issues like this last season.

Any clues anyone???

Brandon

Check your dipstick for emulsified oil. Aka milkshake from a blown head gasket.

Edit: Re-read and noticed you said you changed your oil. Did your old oil look good? If so you might make sure you're getting good oil on the drivers side rockers. Maybe you have a blocked passage somewhere like the front cam bearing. Of course, if your oil looked/looks good I'd check the gauge first.

I just changed the oil and filter last night. The only thing that came out of the pan was just dirt oil. No antifreeze mix (milk shake look).

I was also thinking that he gauge or sending unit is crapping out (or has some crud stuck in it) - Is this possible?

I'll drive it around tonight and see if anything changes.

Brandon

Check the gauge (sender wire to ground) with an ohmmeter with the engine off (zero) pressure check it against the reference. The exact reading depends on the Sender type.

mine has high oil pressure like thtat until the oil getts warm, then it setttles down to about 15psi at idle and 40 or so at highway speeds.
it's done that with every different brand and weight of oil i've ever run in it.

At cold start up I'm at 70-80psi,then when up to temp its around 20-30psi on a vdo gauge

Fixed the link I posted and the link that was quoted. If anyone else finds one do a search for the post number. This one was post 214013. Look for that post number and then do a search for it.:)

If you are blowing smoke out of the exhaust you may have blown the seal in the turbo. That can happen with excessive oil pressure. You still need to figure out what is causing that first. The turbo seal can be repaired for cheap its not like you have to buy a new turbo if its just the seal.