oil on sparkplug threads

buickboy

I changed my plugs yesterday and every plug i removed had motor oil on the threads but none on the plug electrode or the body of the plug. Is this valve covers leaking and pooling into plug pocket and migrating down into threads? I do get a slight smell of buring oil out the tail pipes when motor is running, but no smoke. Any suggestions?
Mitch

Do you have the breathers on the valve covers? I do and the gasket at the bottom doesn't have a tight fit. Oil runs down the valve cover when I'm WOT and runs into the plug holes. I never see oil on my plugs either, but I guess that is because the combustion burns it off. If you don't have the breathers then I can see how leaking gaskets could do the same thing.

Originally posted by buickboy
Is this valve covers leaking and pooling into plug pocket and migrating down into threads?
Mitch

Yep, mine have been that way for several years. Too lazy to change the gaskets. I get a little seepage. It just barely makes a dent in the dipstick reading after 3,000 miles, so I'll wait until it gets worse. I just clean the area about every 3-4 months.

I have the same problem. Its a combination of the valve covers and oil breather. Heres something I found out the fix my problem. I use Mobil 1 and always had a seeping problem with the valve covers. Apparently Mobil 1 is a little finer than the dino based oils and since I was using cork gaskets it would soak through. I changed to rubber neoprene gasket a eliminated the leak. Eric Fisher