Oil life... how long will it last

williamsGN

'Horse sneeze' addict
I know $35 for new oil/zddp is cheap insurance, but I have 700 miles since my last oil change - thing is it was 10/08. Does the oil break down sitting in the pan ? Live in dry conditions, no hot day driving, at least 10 miles when it goes out. This is my 67 mustang by the way, I do the GN annually, usually it has about 1500 miles when it gets changed.

How does the oil look? Some engines are harder on oil than others. I had a Saturn SL2 that would turn new oil into mud in about a thousand miles. I also had a work truck with a 350 Chevy. After 5000 miles, the oil still looked, smelled and felt like new. Those old, small block ford engines seem to run hot.

Heat kills oil. Also cars with more blow-by are hard on oil. Guys that run Alky injection need to change oil more often too.

Now, go change your oil, and have a nice day.;)

Mike B.

There is a reason they say 3 months or 3000 miles. The chemicals deteriorate and drop out after heating to some degree. Depending on how the car is used then I'd say 1.5 years on an oil change for a turbo car is a little long, even if you've only driven 700 miles.

This is the way I look at it, and I'm in no way trying to be an a$$. If you have to ask, it probably needs to be done. Asking tells me there is a doubt in your mind about it, follow your gut and do what feels right.

I use Amsoil 15w40 with ZDDP and a Mobil 1 filter. That runs about 75 bucks an oil change and I change it twice a year regardless of miles. On average it will be around 700 to 900 miles. Just not worth the risk to me, I would rather over do it then have to worry. The oil does break down over time from moisture, fuel from blowby etc. If you are curious to know what the oil is like at this stage then contact blackstone laboratories and ask for an oil sample kit. they can give you a good evaluation of the oil and it's contents.

Like I said, cheap insurance, I just wondered if anyone thought if it actually broke down over time. It looks like the day I put it in. I don't let the oil get dark on either of the cars.

Gnx6 beat my to the enter button.

Why is that? Please elaborate.

Guys that run Alky injection need to change oil more often too.

Mike B.[/QUOTE]

Guys that run Alky injection need to change oil more often too.

Mike B.
[/QUOTE]

Alky (methanol) injection allows you to run higher cylinder pressures (higher boost). This forces more alky and fuel around the rings, that break down oil much quicker.

Mike B.

The oil sat in the ground for millions of years... it doesn't go bad, it gets dirty...

The oil will start dissolving the crud in your engine when it sits there long enough, that is why they tell you to change it.

There is a reason why Amsoil recommends anywhere from 7,500-20,000 miles between changes... run it, change the filter, you're good to go.

If you care about the motor, just change it. I have a honda that just went 33,000 miles on an "oil change":eek:. The motor is $50 or so at a junkyard. The GN makes it about 750 on its oil before a change.

BTW- the hondas oil filter was about 5 lbs:D

If you care about the motor, just change it. I have a honda that just went 33,000 miles on an "oil change":eek:. The motor is $50 or so at a junkyard. The GN makes it about 750 on its oil before a change.

BTW- the hondas oil filter was about 5 lbs:D

So you're one of THOSE guys.:eek: