Oil Leak

richburke03

I have oil dripping from the bottom of the oil filter. I have tried 4 different filters, replaced the turbo drain line gasket checked the oil pressure switch (its dry). I am having a hell of time finding the leak. I have noticed that the medal lines just above the filter are somewhat wet. Could the oil cooler lines be bad? Any ideas where to look next?

maybe the o-ring to the oil cooler line adapter plate is bad.... have you sprayed everything clean with brake cleaner and started the car and watched it yet?

aaron

It is very possible it seems as if the leak might be coming from the adapter plate. But stupid question where is the o-ring behind the plate or in front by the filter? How do I change it?

It is very possible it seems as if the leak might be coming from the adapter plate. But stupid question where is the o-ring behind the plate or in front by the filter? How do I change it?
Their is an o-ring behind the adapter . Similar to that on a std oil filter. You must first take the oil filter adapter off and then you can take the oil cooler "sandwich" adapter off.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would still spray down with brake clean first and watch things.

You could take the adapter off and reinstall the filter. It would eliminate your oil cooler but might fix the leak in the meantime.

I would still spray down with brake clean first and watch things.........................

That would be the smart thing to do first as there are many places than can be leaking including at the gasket between the filter housing and the timing cover which is very hard to trace and see. :)

Pretty common leak area, the O-Ring for the oil cooler adapter. Somebody (dont remember who) sells a larger thickness O-ring to fix the leak prone area:mad::eek:

Ok so when I pull the oil cooler adapter are there any springs or anything behind there that I need to worry about popping out?

nope. just some oil and an Oring back there. Make sure you don't have a 'biggie' filter to install after removing the sammich adapter. Without the cooler, you have to run an 18mm filter.

Well that was my problem thanks for the help guys.

Attachments

• 1373160168023.jpg
    1373160168023.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 90
nope. just some oil and an Oring back there. Make sure you don't have a 'biggie' filter to install after removing the sammich adapter. Without the cooler, you have to run an 18mm filter.
So removing the oil cooler requires a different oil filter?
Going to do this right now and all I have is a stock replacement oil filter
Thanks for your help

No. If you have a 'biggie oil filter kit' and remove the oil cooler, you have to switch back to a stock type filter. Only a stock 18mm filter can fit on the stock filter adapter.