Oil Leak

T-TYPE TONY

Today I took my 86 TR out of the garage to take her for a ride. I went to close my garage door and then I noticed there was at least a quart or two on the floor! The car sat for a week because I only take her out on the weekends. I know that I have to replace the valve cover gaskets, but you suppose the oil pan gasket is no good? Where else could the oil be leaking from? What could be the worst case?

Its a bit of a process to do in car but can be done. I had a few issues with my motor so I pulled it out for the winter and I'm installing new gaskets on everything. Its not an issue other than the mess it will leave on the floor or the occasional smoke youll see after it hits exhaust.

The seal itself is something like 11 bucks i think from fel-pro.

Spray down the block good with engine degreaser and look to see where it comes from

Thanks for the info Yarbeau and Aminga. I will be looking at tha TR this weekend. I have very little time during the week. I will be in touch though. Thanks again.

I would start with the basics first like the drain plug, make sure it's tight. inspect the pan and make sure it has no soft spots and so on. If it leaked out while the car was sitting then it has to be pan related, 95% of the oil settles in the pan.

Prasad

That makes sense. I will look at those items first. If it is the oil pan gasket, whats the best kind of gasket? Thank you WICKEDV6!

Is it possible that its tranny fluid? My car leaks tranny fluid. A small amount seems to make a huge puddle.

~JM~

are you sure its 1-2 quarts? that's a lot of oil.

if you need an oil pan gasket use a cork one with "the right stuff" on both sides and don't over-torque it.

are you sure its 1-2 quarts? that's a lot of oil.

if you need an oil pan gasket use a cork one with "the right stuff" on both sides and don't over-torque it.

x2
I use a light coat of RTV on both sides of a CORK gasket. I also put a tiny bit more RTV where the front cover meets the block up front also where the rear cap aligns with the block in the back. Sometimes the front cover gasket hangs a little low, I usually take a blade and shave that down to avoid any issues.

HTH
Prasad

I don't think it's tranny fluid. My oil is cleaner than the tranny fluid. What was on my garage floor was clean looking. Definitely will inspect the oil pan area. Is the oil pressure switch around there too? Maybe that's leaking? Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the how too's.

Within minutes after shutting off, 95% of the oil is in the pan and the level is below the pan rail gasket. If you lost 2qts, the first thing to look at is the drain plug and gasket.