oil drain ????'s

Dave Burns

OK did a little search and came up blank. Admittedly, I didn't put forth a lot of effort cause' I got a good mad-on about now. Anywaysssss. What is the general "fix" for the turbo oil drain on a hot air car ? This metal tube thing decided to break on me and I am leaking oil out the back and over the tranny. Of course this is just after installing another turbo to try on the car. I get it all together and now all of a sudden MAJOR oil leak. What does an aneurysm feel like ? So is there a "new and improved" oil drain tip or trick ?

I can tell you what I did... Remove the turbo. Make sure it is sealing where the oil drain tube meets the turbo. If this gasket has failed you can obtain another one.

If it isn't leaking there... it is leaking at the gromette itself.

Make sure the gromette isn't cracked... if it is... replace it...

Black RTV the tube approximately 1/2 inch up the tube... (All of the surfaces have to be clean of oil).

Reassemble... let it sit that way a couple days to properly cure. It will not leak anymore. :biggrin:

Are you sure that the drain tube is inside the intake grommet? It is tough area back there and the worst part of installing the Turbo. If it is not in the grommet it will leak like you are describing.

A trick I used on my car was to buy an 86/87 drain tube and just cut off the flared part of it. After you do that the nut for the drain line will just slide out. (You will not need it for your car) Make sure there are no sharp edges from cutting off the flared part.. You are left with a longer flex drain line and little more than an inch of smooth pipe where it slides into the intake grommet.

To install make the line strait and put it in the grommet then just push the turbo down on the mounts. The longer tube makes it easy to see the return tube go into the intake....I found it MUCH easier than trying to fight the stock short one in there!

Here is a picture of the 86/87 Return Tube

Attachments

• fc82_1.JPG
    fc82_1.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 119
Thanks guys. Now that I am a bit more relaxed about this deal, I will have yet another look this evening and see just exactly whats going on. Will update later. Just made me mad cause the car sounded really good. Went from happy to kicked in the pills in 1.4 seconds haha.