OEM intercooler fan... Pusher or puller?

forcefed86

Have one of these tack welded to a trans cooler. Bench tested it pushing and pulling. I can't tell a difference in flow. How are they setup from the factory?

thanks!

Attachments

• fan1.JPG
    fan1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 278
I/C fan is crank pulley driven & is a puller.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

electric fans are more efficient as pullers, due to some law of physics that escapes me at the moment.

your screen name tells me you own an 86, so you could have just looked at your car to see what a stock IC fan looks like..

your screen name tells me you own an 86, so you could have just looked at your car to see what a stock IC fan looks like..

You know that they say about those who assume.... ;) I never owned a buick chassis. Built an 86 rx-7 with a turbo buick Engine though... never knew about the IC fan. Thanks for the info.

I personally don't think the stock IC fan does a dang thing. Intercoolers (air to air) are just a heat sponge until you reach 70+ mph in order to get enough air flow to transfers heat out. The stock intercooler is.......well......,poorly designed. It works......it just doesn't work good.

I personally don't think the stock IC fan does a dang thing. Intercoolers (air to air) are just a heat sponge until you reach 70+ mph in order to get enough air flow to transfers heat out. The stock intercooler is.......well......,poorly designed. It works......it just doesn't work good.

take the intercooler of your car and see if the car runs any differently at lower speeds.. if you get ambitious, maybe plumb some cheap temp sensors before and after the intercooler to see what they read at different speeds and engine loads..

does it work as well as a front mount? no... of course not. it was put where it was for relatively easy packaging and cost savings. but it does something or they wouldn't have bothered putting it there.

take the intercooler of your car and see if the car runs any differently at lower speeds.. if you get ambitious, maybe plumb some cheap temp sensors before and after the intercooler to see what they read at different speeds and engine loads..

does it work as well as a front mount? no... of course not. it was put where it was for relatively easy packaging and cost savings. but it does something or they wouldn't have bothered putting it there.
Tmk the engineers wanted to put the intercooler up front but were shot down.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I HAVE removed the intercooler and fabbed a mandrel bent tube from turbo to TB. I plumbed in water/methanol injection into the turbo inlet back in 1989 or so. Yes it ran well like that. I was running 11.77@112 with stock turbo and 30 lb Tomco injectors back in 1991, too. My current twin turbo set up has two stock IC cores welded together. I originally set out to make it look like GM really did make the infamous "Twin Turbo FBI high speed pursuit car" that I kept hearing about at any event I went to. But.........I came across a bunch of 321 stainless at an aviation surplus outlet and scrapped a bunch of parts I had made to look stock.
Seriously any air to air intercooler is a heat sink until there is enough airflow across the core to transfers heat out. I've run with out a stock fan on many different cars over the years and it has made ZERO difference.
I do have a dual air temp gauge set up I will loan to someone if they will post results of the info. I just don't have the time or even access to a stock set up to do it. I'm pretty sure this topic has been discussed many many times since at least 1990.