Octane Boosters?

Mercury7

Anybody using octane boosters in their Turbo Buicks on a regular basis?

It feels like the gasoline around here just keeps getting weaker, I think that the "winter gas" is pretty much a year round thing for good now.

After reading over a post about Sunoco race gas the other night I'm wondering what your thoughts are about the occasional bottle of booster added with a tank up.

Are there long term concerns? Maybe affecting O2 sensors or fouling up other components I haven't considered...

Any opinions and inputs appreciated.

Thanks!

Octane boosters are pretty much a waste of money.Get a alcy system or spike your gas with a little race gas.E85 if you can find it.

Thanks George.

Alky is pretty far downstream on my wish list; it's got a decent amount of sorting out and a solid balanced platform before that step up ro Alky.

There was a ....

discussion a while back on the merits of using the additives, and they all came up w/the same conclusion, money well wasted! Alchy or mixing your own fuel w/toluene,etc. Not worth the aggrivation or loss of paint when it drips on the side of your car.:eek:

The big problem with octane boosters is that they are inconsistent. The amount of fuel left in the tank effects the octane. Even if you mix your own with Xylene in a 5gal can, it will be diluted by whatever fuel is left in the tank. One day you may have 110 octane and the next time, there may be more lower octane fuel left in the tank, which lowers octane and lowers the level at which knock occurs.

The best of the best of the octane boosters is made by Torco, it's availability is quite limited, it's pricy, but if you are going to run a booster give it a try. Other than that, everything that you have heard bad about boosters is true. Will foul the 02 sensor & plug up your cat. I personally would never run it, and you shouldn't either FWIW & IMHO.
Move a good alkycontrol system up higher on your wish list.

I'd move it to the TOP of the list !! My wagon has a stock V6 Turbo motor.. only runnin 22#s of boost.. Goes good for a tank !! :p

x2...Even stock these cars should have it just for safety against the bad gas today. Or get a TT chip and drop timing until 87 burns with no knock...

Octane Boosters Advice

As always, expert opinions received and well appreciated guys.
I'm beginning to suspect what collapsed the Cat.