O-ring...or no 0-ring

DeltaBravo

Retired U.S. Army/Navy
Hey,

I am not having good luck with installing o-rings on the fuel inlet and outlet to the fuel rail. It always seems to pinch/cut the o-ring. I am wondering if there shouldn't be any o-ring installed. Or if I am installing them correctly?

thanks.
IMG_3049.JPG

thanks, i figured it does. Do you think I am over tightening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I call those 1 use o-rings for those lines

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I was at my Buick dealers a few months back and they no longer carry/stock the two o-rings. They don't even show in the computer for our fuel rail.

I was at my Buick dealers a few months back and they no longer carry/stock the two o-rings. They don't even show in the computer for our fuel rail.
It's been a while since I've had stock fuel lines. But, I thought those were nothing more than standard fuel injector O-rings.

No?

How tight you crank on that nut doesn't matter on an O-ring seal. That's kinda the point. O-ring seals don't rely on clamping force to make a seal.

If your o-rings are coming out in good shape, check the bore inside the FPR and look for burrs or nicks. If your o-ring is comeout chewed up, you either have a burr or they're the wrong thickness.

If you can't sort it out I have a set of viton 0-rings that I know for a fact work. When I built my engine I had to buy 500 of each size so I pretty much have a lifetime supply. :)

Don't have the info in front of me but if I remember correctly all three of the fuel line fittings require a unique size/type O-ring.
The one standard sized o-ring is the one that goes on the fuel rail fitting of the regulator.

I believe what I did was I bought an assorted small o-ring pack from AutoZone, then matched it up as best as I could to the old o ring that I held onto that came off the fuel line. Hopefully this helps, and also I wouldn't run it without any o-rings

Wow! I posted this last night right before turning on a movie and going to sleep...didn't expect so many replies on this little (literally) part.

Ok, so after pulling apart the top in of my motor a couple of times, I have replaced these o-rings because they are damaged.

1) They definitely need o-rings.
2) They are in fact different sizes.
3) Can't get them from a dealer.
4) Check for burs/smooth surfaces.
5) Use oil.
6) Clamping force isn't the issue. Should be able to tighten down as tight as it will go.

So...that means I might be using the wrong size?
O-rings.JPG

Here is some info I've gleaned from this site over the years:

NAPA #730-4912 you get 2 of each one and they are correct.
NAPA #2-18416 for a package of one of each size.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SK27 Fuel Rail O-Ring Kit
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SK26 Fuel Rail O-Ring Kit

borg warner or neihoff search part # 27478 , its a kit of both o-rings for the fuel rail

standard motors brand in a 10 pack.. sk27 feed , sk26 return

Fel Pro ES 70599

For the FPR to rail connection it is a standard GM injector O-ring.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Here is some info I've gleaned from this site over the years:

NAPA #730-4912 you get 2 of each one and they are correct.
NAPA #2-18416 for a package of one of each size.

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SK27 Fuel Rail O-Ring Kit
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS SK26 Fuel Rail O-Ring Kit

borg warner or neihoff search part # 27478 , its a kit of both o-rings for the fuel rail

standard motors brand in a 10 pack.. sk27 feed , sk26 return

Fel Pro ES 70599

For the FPR to rail connection it is a standard GM injector O-ring.

RemoveBeforeFlight

This is great info. Thanks. Going to NAPA today and grabbing a few kits.

I have had good luck with the AutoZone fuel line Orings. The brown ones.

One of the only useful things I've bought at harbor freight was their viton o ring assortment. The sizes needed are in there. The ones in the pictures look like rings for an r134a system. They are not rated for fuel. The two fittings need to be tight. Tight enough so they won't come loose. Had one car at my shop last year that someone had worked on prior and left the return line fitting loose. Was lucky to not have a fire. I always check them before driving now. Not worth the risk

It's been a while since I've had stock fuel lines. But, I thought those were nothing more than standard fuel injector O-rings.

No?

Definitely not fuel injector. See Pic for size deference. After I installed the two o-rings in the kit. No Leaks. They work. Thanks again.
Oring Comparision.JPG

You need to make sure the tube is seated correctly and not cocked to the side and make sure the tube nut isn't cross threaded.... once the alignment is right... you shouldn't tear the o-rings.... unless a burr is inside the the fuel pressure regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You need to make sure the tube is seated correctly and not cocked to the side and make sure the tube nut isn't cross threaded.... once the alignment is right... you shouldn't tear the o-rings.... unless a burr is inside the the fuel pressure regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I believe the tearing/pinching was just because I was using a size to large for both. My theory; the excess rubber was being squeezed out and then cut/pinched. If the right size is used, it will just get squeezed...no excess to get pinch/cut.

Tube is straight , and I learned a while ago that cross threading causes a lot of pain and suffering...no cross threading allowed in my garage.

I bought my oring assortment kit from Autozone for about 6 bucks. They are orangish/brown in color just like the OEM I bought at the dealership. And plus 1 on putting a bit of oil on it. Some good advice, cycle your key/fuel pump a couple of times and look for leaks before firing off the car.

Last edited: