nothing on scanner

suev6

Good morning every one.We are new on this site but been reading for a while,love the way that you are helping each others.My wife 87gn.t.top is stock and we send it to have the tranny refresh last week,the shop said that the computer is not sending communication to it,he put the scanner on but nothing,he cannot get a reading.They thing that the computer is no good,any solution.Thank you:confused:

Good morning every one.We are new on this site but been reading for a while,love the way that you are helping each others.My wife 87gn.t.top is stock and we send it to have the tranny refresh last week,the shop said that the computer is not sending communication to it,he put the scanner on but nothing,he cannot get a reading.They thing that the computer is no good,any solution.Thank you:confused:
So this was not a problem BEFORE taking it to have the tranny work done and the car ran fine??

* Batt dead?
* Orange ECM wire near batt unplugged or inline fuse blown? (on the stock in-line fuse the wire must be OHMed out because the fuse is moulded in with the wire)!! I had to replace one before, simple fix from advance auto..

Scot W.

Thank you for the reply,yes it was problem before because got a tune up last year and the shop could not get the scanner to work,was told that the scanner was broken and they will get fix.I just never got back to the shop.[p.s.just figure the scanner is not the problem]

Thank you for the reply,yes it was problem before because got a tune up last year and the shop could not get the scanner to work,was told that the scanner was broken and they will get fix.I just never got back to the shop.[p.s.just figure the scanner is not the problem]
Okay, Let's clear up what your calling "a scanner".. What are you reffering too? The ECM (Computer)?

it plug in to next to the radio,mounted under the dash.I am not sure of the scanner but will find out soon has possible

When i mean on does it come on with the key on eng. off then go off and stay off while the engine is running

It's either a fuse or the ecm itself. Check for power at the ecm connector.

C16 should have full time power. That is the orange wire from the battery.

A6 (pink and black wire) should get hot when the key is turned to the on position. That comes from the vehicle fuse pannel under the dash.

Here is the ecm pinout. ECM Connectors

we will be checking on it when the shop open,hope to be today or tomorow.THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERY ONE

Keep in mind that you need to run a power wire to the connector for the ALDL for the scanner to work. What kind of scanner did he try to use, was it a snap on "brick", basically its the old rectangle scanner. I think its a GM1 connector and it needs a 12volt source to work properly.

Unless the ECM got wet or zapped I wouldnt be replacing it yet.

Keep in mind that you need to run a power wire to the connector for the ALDL for the scanner to work. What kind of scanner did he try to use, was it a snap on "brick", basically its the old rectangle scanner. I think its a GM1 connector and it needs a 12volt source to work properly.

Unless the ECM got wet or zapped I wouldnt be replacing it yet.

Kinda what I was thinking Dave. You may not have an experienced tech on the early systems.

WE want to thank you all for the great help we got solving my problem,It was the ecm,got the tranny back to what it suppose to be and getting everything on the scanner,just have to figure out why it keep dying when cold but soon it warm up idle find.THANK YOU AGAIN SUE