Noob ? about cam sensor/caspers tool

PhenixCityGN

I used the search function to find instructions on how to install a cam sensor, and it looks complicated as hell.
Can someone chime in about caspers cam tool and cap? can I use just the tool, or do I need both? Does it make installation easy enough so a novice such as me doesn't grenade his engine by messing it up?:redface: thx

Set timming mark 25 degree after top-dead-center( cut a piece of tape 1" 1/4 and stick/paste it to the crankshaft dampner pulley MARK. the tape should be on right/passenger side of the damper pulley MARK, when line-up to 0 degree with the plastic timming indicator. Now turn the crank (to the driverside) so the dampner (OEM)MARK is 1" 1/4 away(end of the tape) from the 0 degree MARK on the plastic pointer . loosen cam sensor bolt and rotate sensor 1/4 turn clockwise, rotate counter clockwise until LED lights. tighten bolt and remove tool/sensor tool.replug harness. and fire it up

I used the search function to find instructions on how to install a cam sensor, and it looks complicated as hell.
Can someone chime in about caspers cam tool and cap? can I use just the tool, or do I need both? Does it make installation easy enough so a novice such as me doesn't grenade his engine by messing it up?:redface: thx

Yes, all you need is the tool to set the sensor.

If you have the new cam sensor cap that caspers sells you don't need the tool to set it, it's built into the cap.

Installation / setting of the sensor is easy with the tool, the instructions should be on the tool. You can go to casperselectronics website and look under the products heading and the installation instructions are there complete with pictures.

does anyone remember the old school way of setting cam sensors?

something like tdc....cap wires face waterpump stud and little window faces pass. side.

its actually much easier than the caspers tool ....but my failing memory can find the tool faster.

does anyone remember the old school way of setting cam sensors?

something like tdc....cap wires face waterpump stud and little window faces pass. side.

its actually much easier than the caspers tool ....but my failing memory can find the tool faster.

vortexbuicksetc.com has an article on setting it like that & probably GNTTYPE.org has it as well. Pretty simple really.

BTW it has to be TDC on #1 compression stroke, or it will be 180* out.

i would hurt myself trying to figure out if the light on the casper cap turns off when the hood is shut....kinda like the refrigerator light.

i would hurt myself trying to figure out if the light on the casper cap turns off when the hood is shut....kinda like the refrigerator light.

If you shut the refrigerator door slowly you should be able to see the light go out before the door is completely closed.

With an inspection mirror you could look at the light on the casper cap from underneath the car with the hood closed to see if it turns off. :)

Yes, all you need is the tool to set the sensor.

If you have the new cam sensor cap that caspers sells you don't need the tool to set it, it's built into the cap.

Installation / setting of the sensor is easy with the tool, the instructions should be on the tool. You can go to casperselectronics website and look under the products heading and the installation instructions are there complete with pictures.
i found this thread, looking for help. it states the the window should be at 4 oclock to be tdc if it's at 10 oclock it's out by 180*. when i took my cap off, the window is at 7 oclock, so was my car out of time ? as i thought it said the window never moves ??. i will be getting the led cap, so do i need to get that window over to the 4 oclock area to be tdc ? as much help as i can get would be great............ thanks

The whole idea behind the Caspers cap, is that you no longer need the 25 deg ATDC mark, or the installation tool. It is all in one unit. :cool:
http://www.installationinstructions.com/107112.pdf
by looking at the picture of the cam sensor cover and that being tdc and looking at the pic of the wheel window, where those cap hole screws are , and my cap holes being where they are my car was or is 180* off , so if i'm reading that right which i'm not sure my car would run like crap maybe ???

i found this thread, looking for help. it states the the window should be at 4 oclock to be tdc if it's at 10 oclock it's out by 180*. when i took my cap off, the window is at 7 oclock, so was my car out of time ? as i thought it said the window never moves ??. i will be getting the led cap, so do i need to get that window over to the 4 oclock area to be tdc ? as much help as i can get would be great............ thanks

I've never set the cam sensor, but the way I read it, the first thing you must do is get the motor to TDC on #1 compression stroke. This is a very important step. Where the window is doesn't determine whether you're TDC or not. You need to look at the balancer to determine if your timing mark lines up to 0, but this alone will not tell you whether you are on the compression stroke; it will only give you a 50-50 shot. You must pull the plug on #1; if you feel pressure building with the piston on the way up, you are approaching TDC for #1. If you don't feel the pressure building, then you are on the exhaust stroke. **If you were to set the cam sensor while #1 is at TDC of its exhaust stroke, THEN you would be 180* off!! - but don't do this!!!

Once you've determined you're at TDC, then you need to worry about the actual activity of setting the cam sensor.

Again, I'm a noob too, but it makes sense that the physical motor must be #1 TDC in order to set the sensor correctly. Also, the cam sensor really sets the fuel injection timing. And yes, if it is off, your car will run like crap if it's 180* off.

No special tools needed.

Like said above.

Determine TDC.
Rotate balancer 1.45" Use a piece of tape marked to 1.45" on the balancer.
Aim this mark, #4, on top of the sensor directly at passenger fender.
When it slides in it will rotate to the antena/heater box.
Make sure the cam sensor goes all the way down.
then line up the mark on lip, #2

with the #4 mark and tighten up the the cam sensor blot.

It should fire right up.

D
camsensortopview copy.jpg
camsensordrivecap 2_3.jpg

No special tools needed.

Like said above.

Determine TDC.

It should fire right up.

DView attachment 171104View attachment 171105
i'm only changeing the cap, so do i need to do all the steps you showed ?

No steps needed. just change cap. My opinion, I would stick with a factory cap.

D

No special tools needed.

Like said above.

Determine TDC.

It should fire right up.

DView attachment 171104View attachment 171105
ok let me see if i get this when you say line up #2 mark with #4 mark , but in those pic's it looks like the #4 mark lines up with the window on the brass wheel
thanks

ok let me see if i get this when you say line up #2 mark with #4 mark , but in those pic's it looks like the #4 mark lines up with the window on the brass wheel
thanks

The #4 mark (the tab) is opposite of the window. Check the picture looking straight down on the sensor. Can just make out the window to the right.

RemoveBeforeFlight

The #4 mark (the tab) is opposite of the window. Check the picture looking straight down on the sensor. Can just make out the window to the right.

RemoveBeforeFlight
ok, still not sure, so should # 2 be closer to the window or the tab (#4)

in this pic is #2 and #4 lined up they way it should be ??
or should #2 be lined up with the window ??

Attachments

• DSCN3169.JPG
    DSCN3169.JPG
    283 KB · Views: 426