no shift ito 3rd problem

oldtimer

my 200 4 R won't shift into 3rd gear when the shifter is is put into 3rd. Shifts 1-2 ok, just won't go into 3rd. Seems to go into 3rd when manually shifted into overdrive (not sure if I'm getting 4th or 3rd)
Transmission was just rebuilt with a regular valve body. Didn't have 3rd gear from the get-go upon installation. I thought it was the valve body/governor so we took a "known to be good"
GN valve body and governor and installed it. Worked fine on road test.
Towed the car 600 miles to race. First run, worked fine. Second run, wouldn't shift into 3rd. Towed back home.

Transmission has the usual build stuff: kevlar band, kolene steels, 10 vane pump, trans-go shift kit, super servo, Stage-rite TB, 9" art Carr N/L converter (3500 stall).

Any help from trans gurus would be appreciated

Originally posted by oldtimer
my 200 4 R won't shift into 3rd gear when the shifter is is put into 3rd. Shifts 1-2 ok, just won't go into 3rd. Seems to go into 3rd when manually shifted into overdrive (not sure if I'm getting 4th or 3rd)
Transmission was just rebuilt with a regular valve body. Didn't have 3rd gear from the get-go upon installation. I thought it was the valve body/governor so we took a "known to be good"
Towed the car 600 miles to race. First run, worked fine. Second run, wouldn't shift into 3rd. Towed back home.

Transmission has the usual build stuff: kevlar band, kolene steels, 10 vane pump, trans-go shift kit, super servo, Stage-rite TB, 9" art Carr N/L converter (3500 stall).

Anybody out there got any ideas .. Greg. can you help ?

Originally posted by oldtimer

Bruce ..... Chris ..... anybody ??? any thoughts on what may be wrong ??

hi oldtimer, i'm having the same exact problem that you had when your transmission wasn't shifting into 3rd gear and it's a fresh 2004r with a transgo shift kit installed. Red eagle clutches,super servo,alto wide band and kolene steels on fresh rebuild. Any help will be appreciated

Valve body gaskets correct? Check balls correct? Is reverse OK? There could be a problem with the direct drum. Sealing rings damaged? Or a washer left out or incorrect one causing the drum to move back and forth.???

Valve body gaskets correct? Check balls correct? Is reverse OK? There could be a problem with the direct drum. Sealing rings damaged? Or a washer left out or incorrect one causing the drum to move back and forth.???
I don't know because I had it built at a local tranny shop. First he said that my valve body had a transgo kit in it and I had him put a superior kit in it and that's why I wasn't getting 2nd gear. I then went to the salvage yard a got another valve body and he stated a transgo kit in the newer vb and now no 3rd gear. I have to shift to od in order to get 3 shifts but nothing in drive. help please

yes dave I do have reverse. 1st and 2nd pull strong but only wanna go 45mph because don't wanna hit over 2000rpm

Are you getting a 3rd gear flag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no I'm not. now I checke my transmission fluid today and discovered that its black only after being driven a few miles. the tv cable was set correctly by using the gas pedal method so it had to be something wrong with the build from the start

Like there was a huge leak on the 3rd oil circuit.

my car is slow on take off with a torque converter from a 1985 oldsmobile 98. the converter has d6 stamped around it and im wondering if the stall speed is too low or what because I have a race coming up against a 2011 charger rt and I know that he wont stand a chance if i leave the line strong. my car wont even spin the tires when i floor it but used to burn them up with the old torque converter.

If whoever put it together and in didn't flush the cooler and lines you probably have black fluid from the old trans. Converter is probably 14-1600 rpm stall so you do need something else if you want to 60' with any authority.

my car is slow on take off with a torque converter from a 1985 oldsmobile 98. the converter has d6 stamped around it and im wondering if the stall speed is too low or what because I have a race coming up against a 2011 charger rt and I know that he wont stand a chance if i leave the line strong. my car wont even spin the tires when i floor it but used to burn them up with the old torque converter.
If someone put a d6 behind a turbo engine id question that