No Reverse

kw1162

Just finished a trans swap, from th350 to 200R4. I am not getting any reverse. Is there anything in my installation that could stop the trans from going into reverse?
I have 12 quarts of full synthetic in.
I checked the linkage.
Forward gears work.
I do not have the lockup connected.
Can the TV adjustment cause this?
I don't have reverse lockout connected, but that is just linkage, right?
Pleas Help:confused:

This is from an ATSG Manual
No Reverse or Slips in Reverse
TV Cable = Binding, Misadjusted
Manual Linkage = Misadjusted
Throttle Valve = Binding
TV Limit Valve = """""""
Line Bias Valve= """""""
Reverse Boost Valve= Binding in Pressure Regulator Bore.
There are several more Internal components that can cause this.

Thanks for the reply. I re-adjusted the throttle and tv. unfortunately they seem to be good. i guess it's on to the boost valve.

Is this a fresh rebuild? Did the little orificed cup plug get put into the case to the Low/Reverse housing? You would have reverse if you revved it but you may chance burning it up with the internal leakage.

No there was no rebuild. It was taken from 1 car where it supposedly worked. Sat for a year or so, then I bought it and installed it in my car. I am starting to believe I was just lied to. What a suprise.

Here is something to try... without taking trans apart

Put car in Manual low. Run up to 25-30 mph in Manual low gear and lift your foot off throttle real fast. See if car decompresses (slows down due to engine braking) . If not, you have a problem in the low reverse clutch. If so, then look at the 2-3 shift valve line up and/or direct clutch rings and center support. The key here is manual low and reverse use the same orifice and clutch. Now, To ck the boost valve without removal, is put a pressure gauge on it. See what reverse does vs manual low and 2nd. They should all have boost. Pressure should rise in all three. Anyway, a couple of things you can ck externally and sort of know where to start. I am willing to assist you in diagnosis if you need the help. Contact me by either emailing ptsxtreme@aol.com or call. Not looking to sell anything, just want to help you and give you a direction to start.
Let me know. Hope this helps and there are other external test we can do to diagnois further if need be.
(BTW... TV cable misadjusted would only effect pressure rise. Even with cable off, it should still have reverse.) Scratch that one off the list.
(In NO WAY is this demeaning to the poster SSedan64 but:

This is from an ATSG Manual
No Reverse or Slips in Reverse
TV Cable = Binding, Misadjusted.......Not the problem
Manual Linkage = Misadjusted..... Could be but 90% probobly not the problem.
Throttle Valve = Binding.... Should not matter
TV Limit Valve = """"""".... No way
Line Bias Valve= """""""....No way
Reverse Boost Valve= Binding in Pressure Regulator Bore.... Possible but we discussed above the test for that.

If I had to guess I would say direct clutch inner rubber backwards or ring on center support damaged.

Bruce
WE4
Performance Transmission Services
916-739-0510
(I ck the machine every couple hours, so if you get the machine, leave a contact number and I will return the call.)

Bruce my feelings aren't hurt. I'm no trans expert. Novice at best. Most of what I've learned has been from this site. Glad someone with great trans knowledge is helping.
Hope you feel better soon. :D
Todd

Hey guys thanks for the replys. I live in Huntington Beach about a mile from Art Carr. He and his crew are experts on this trans and have given me a wealth of information in just the last few days. Bruce's diag was right on and unfortunately the trans was done. I am though doing the swap in my driveway on the cheap, and will post the process here for anybody who's interested.
Thanks Again