No reverse lights

86 GN DDR

I noticied the other day that my reverse lights do not come on. I've heard of possibly being the NSS and then I heard that I have to adjust the transmission linkage. Any thoughts or ideas. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Most likely the white switch on top of the steering column under the dash. It's a racket adjustment that sets when the brake lights come on, no lights and your reverse lights. Hard to explain it but I'll look back and find the thread that helped me set it correctly.

I noticied the other day that my reverse lights do not come on. I've heard of possibly being the NSS and then I heard that I have to adjust the transmission linkage. Any thoughts or ideas. Thanks.

This thread has good info on this switch:

http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/no-power-to-the-purple-wire-on-starter.429380/page-2

Note that since you can turn the ignition key to crank the engine the linkage is likely adjusted OK. This is due to the P/N safety being a mechanical interlock on the column.

The switch at the base of the column operates the back up lights and the P/N input to the ECM. Over time the grease hardens and the switch stops working. It is easy to pull the switch, open it and clean it. Then a little new grease and good to go. The switch rackets left/right for adjustment.

The above link also has the wiring for the reverse lights to help trouble shoot what is wrong. To see if it is a switch adjustment issue do a key-on, engine-off. Then move the shifter from P to reverse and neutral. See if the backup lights comes on at any time. May need another person for this or a garage door after dark.

In my case there weren't any backup light bulbs installed...

RemoveBeforeFlight

This thread has good info on this switch:

http://www.turbobuick.com/threads/no-power-to-the-purple-wire-on-starter.429380/page-2

Note that since you can turn the ignition key to crank the engine the linkage is likely adjusted OK. This is due to the P/N safety being a mechanical interlock on the column.

The switch at the base of the column operates the back up lights and the P/N input to the ECM. Over time the grease hardens and the switch stops working. It is easy to pull the switch, open it and clean it. Then a little new grease and good to go. The switch rackets left/right for adjustment.

The above link also has the wiring for the reverse lights to help trouble shoot what is wrong. To see if it is a switch adjustment issue do a key-on, engine-off. Then move the shifter from P to reverse and neutral. See if the backup lights comes on at any time. May need another person for this or a garage door after dark.

In my case there weren't any backup light bulbs installed...

RemoveBeforeFlight
Perfect! That's the thread I was referring to!

Does your car have the shifter on the column or console? Aftermarket or stock shifter? I know on my B&M megashifter I had to add a Nitrous switch ( could have been any switch) to engage once it was put into reverse to turn the lights on.