No respect!

TTA 1077

Went to the last big car show of the season in upstate NY today. I can't figure out with the popularity of the GN and F bodies, why people still show so much scorn for the TTA? I actualy had one guy come up to me and say "Wow, it's to bad that GM put this wonderful motor in such a piece of sh*t car?" Another person was quoting the Car & Driver video to his wife or girlfriend, stating that GM couldn't get them to sell well because they were overpriced and not well made. Yet another person (Corvette owner) was talking with his buddy, said that "Pontiac used the turbo because the Firebirds couldn't keep up with the Vetts and Camaros" :mad: Still, had my fair share of compliments. It seems the import kids respect them alot, almost everyone of them knew what the car was and had good questions, I was vary suprised! Oh by the way Jim, the PAS photos were a hit! I had a ton of remarks about them and they stopped that annoying " Is that factory or did you put that motor in their" question.

two cents

And we wonder why the value has not went way up. This could be why.

I have both TTA's and GN cars plus others and the TTA is a "what" "they did that" "I did not know it came with that engine" type of responses.

The GN is always "that is a fast car". "I remember when" etc.... I like both but the TTA's are the best for me.

As far as that vette owner goes, he must have had a TTA spank him in the past. :tongue:

I wonder if the GMC crowd gets this general type responses ??

Funny, I always got respect..... At the track!!!!Tehehe :biggrin:

People will flock over your car and give credit where credit is do when racing.

the import kids like turbos and know what they can do. the old folks, loving chevy bigblocks don't.

i often get this reaction of corvette drivers. but what the heck.. i love my car. :cool:

let a friends lt1 behind, yesterday :biggrin:

you have people that always see these cars as the mulletmobiles. I like being different. like someone said above when i drive the GN everyone praises the car and say man those are fast cars. when i drive the TTA most people dont even know what it is other than a thirdgen trans am.

I like mine, but I think I'd rather have a t-type or GN, who knows maybe one day I'll be able to put a t-type or GN in the garage beside the TTA and my 65 Fastback. As for the value, give it another year or 5 and I bet they do skyrocket, they are the COPO of their generation and really no 4th gen car compares.

For those who would think they are a POS, I wonder what they call the 4th gen cars because they are on a similar platform and more poorly made and designed from plastic door panels glued together, 24 inch deep dash boards, heavy ass doors, heck the only metal pieces are the hood and quarters, engine tucked under the front window...and at least I can change the knock sensor on my car without pulling the motor...

2QUICK2B6 said:
you have people that always see these cars as the mulletmobiles. I like being different. like someone said above when i drive the GN everyone praises the car and say man those are fast cars. when i drive the TTA most people dont even know what it is other than a thirdgen trans am.

I hate that Mullet persona! The GN never got that because it was a Buick, you know "Go Fast With Class" But those 80's F- Bodies did. Has any one seen the '85 GN commercial? talk about mullets and holy Flash dance & Michael Jackson :D

sprayed65 said:
For those who would think they are a POS, I wonder what they call the 4th gen cars because they are on a similar platform and more poorly made and designed from plastic door panels glued together, 24 inch deep dash boards, heavy ass doors, heck the only metal pieces are the hood and quarters, engine tucked under the front window...and at least I can change the knock sensor on my car without pulling the motor...
Actually the 4th gens are much more rigid than the 3rd gens. Jack up your 3rd gen from the body underneath and try to open/close a door. The 4th gens are superior even though the body/frameless design is similar, GM learned alot from the 3rd gens and corrected it on the 4th. Suspension and handling are much better without near as harsh a ride too.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 3rd gen, but to collectors, 3rd gens will never be worth what the 1st, 2nd, or 4th gens will later be worth.

TTA 1077 said:
Went to the last big car show of the season in upstate NY today. I can't figure out with the popularity of the GN and F bodies, why people still show so much scorn for the TTA? I actualy had one guy come up to me and say "Wow, it's to bad that GM put this wonderful motor in such a piece of sh*t car?" Another person was quoting the Car & Driver video to his wife or girlfriend, stating that GM couldn't get them to sell well because they were overpriced and not well made. Yet another person (Corvette owner) was talking with his buddy, said that "Pontiac used the turbo because the Firebirds couldn't keep up with the Vetts and Camaros" :mad: Still, had my fair share of compliments. It seems the import kids respect them alot, almost everyone of them knew what the car was and had good questions, I was vary suprised! Oh by the way Jim, the PAS photos were a hit! I had a ton of remarks about them and they stopped that annoying " Is that factory or did you put that motor in their" question.

I hear ya! Glad the PAS pics helped some! I destroy anyone talkin smack on the TTA when I'm out with it. They get on my last nerve. I have so much info out on the TTA when I'm out with it including those PAS pics. Seems people like the window sticker and the paper with how many were made. I always put those on the window. Shame because the TTA is and always will be one amazing car! I love my GN but nothing compairs to the TTA! Just keep bustin people chops when out with the cars! :D

2QUIK6 said:
Actually the 4th gens are much more rigid than the 3rd gens. Jack up your 3rd gen from the body underneath and try to open/close a door. The 4th gens are superior even though the body/frameless design is similar, GM learned alot from the 3rd gens and corrected it on the 4th. Suspension and handling are much better without near as harsh a ride too.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 3rd gen, but to collectors, 3rd gens will never be worth what the 1st, 2nd, or 4th gens will later be worth.

they may be a lot stronger but they are NOT superior in their build quality, the third and 4th gen f-bodies are kind of like the fox body mustang, they are simple and effective, and took on subtle changes over the years. I've yet to see a door skin come off of a 3rd gen car, and you can't compare the engine bay setup between the two.

in a way I kind of like the mullet brothers persona, when I bust their ass it makes it that much sweeter

our cars have NEVER had respect !!! even when they were new :eek: I will say it has been the most fun car I have ever owned :cool:

I always get respect. I've heard: "Man, that engine was born for this car" or "too bad they didn't put that engine in other cars" or "I've always wanted one of those" or "why isn't that thing stored up in your garage" and then the one old woman "official race car, wow." :biggrin: :cool:

And I agree, they were over priced . . . but any specialty car like ours always is. (ZR1, '97 LT4 Camaro SS)

I live in f-body nation, in which most if not all are ls1's and most if not all owners are dumb...I get a lot of compliments but the most fun I ever had was regularly spanking some of the same people in my 91 mustang coupe with a mild 2.3 turbo motor...