No Intercooler vs Stocker vs Front Mount

Bruce I'm a little confused about the fan delete.
It does not increase temps by not running one but if you run one it will help increase recovery temps?

I think what he said was there was a slightly higher max temp w/o the fan and also w/o the fan the recovery really stunk.

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
I think what he said was there was a slightly higher max temp w/o the fan and also w/o the fan the recovery really stunk.

You got it.

I see. You remove the intercooler, THEN went to alky injection. The alky is well know to be an efficient cooler, so what you had then was ALMOST as good as with an IC, but it was better in that there was no IC to heat soak. You had the instant cooling of the alky, but not the extra cooling of the IC. Still seems like the best combo would be the IC with the alky. But you don't want to test in that sequence, because it might give results you don't like, I guess.

Originally posted by Ormand
But you don't want to test in that sequence, because it might give results you don't like, I guess.

Given unlimited funds, and a staff of several dozen I could play all sorts of games, in any order I liked. Trouble is none of that's available to me.

Unlike some, I post what I find from actually doing things, rather then taking a guess at what might be going on. While to some guessing is fine, it doesn't always weight all the considerations possible, or those overlooked.

So then there is no manifold air temp sensor from factory? Where is the factory iat located?

Ben

GM calls the sensor a manifold air temperature (MAT) sensor but locates it just after the air filter. Bruce likes to (correctly) call the pre-turbo located sensor an intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, and reserves the name mat for sensors actually located in the manifold.

So ignoring issues of when and in what order, the conclusion I see is that alcohol injection with no intercooler is about as good as the stock intercooler in the stock location (trading ongoing refill expense and hassle for drastically lowered heat soak), a front mount alone is better than either of those individually (and I don't recall if you said this but Julio's data indicates that a stock intercooler and alky may be about equivalent to a front mount), and you haven't tested alky with the front mount but it is reasonable to expect that it can only help more. So for about twice the cost of the alky setup you can have a front mount that is always ready, with no ongoing costs.

Bruce and Carl,

Shouldn't the conclusion be that the very best set-up is an FM and alky? Doesn't the testing imply that even the Stage guys will benefit from alky injection? I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything, I'm just trying to understand if the experts think that a FM -AND- Alky is where things are headed?

Thanks.

:)

Originally posted by strikeeagle
Bruce and Carl,
Shouldn't the conclusion be that the very best set-up is an FM and alky? Doesn't the testing imply that even the Stage guys will benefit from alky injection? I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything, I'm just trying to understand if the experts think that a FM -AND- Alky is where things are headed?

Check back with me about the end of the month. :)

And there are yet other items/ideas to play with. :) :)

I have a couple of friends running front mounts and alky and yes, the alky still helps - whatever their 93 octane limit is they can run another 5+ psi and more timing with the alky. For some reason, I personally just don't want the extra tank and hassle so I don't run it, but that's just my perverse outlook :).