chillin954

ustthought i would introduce myself was told by a good friend that this a great forum.. I just bought an 87' GrandNational always loved the cars and now I finally have my hands on one... it's a project right now but runs good now but of course I want to go faster... I dont have much knowledge on the car so any info would be appreciated maybe you guys can tell me what I have and what I need. I'm also looking to purchase parts just pm me thx.

Attachments

• 20150204_152042.jpg
    20150204_152042.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 171
  • 20150203_133019.jpg
    20150203_133019.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 231
  • 20150204_104809.jpg
    20150204_104809.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 250
  • 20150204_104824.jpg
    20150204_104824.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 233
  • 20150203_132930.jpg
    20150203_132930.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 229
  • 20150131_173000.jpg
    20150131_173000.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 220
  • 20150203_132921.jpg
    20150203_132921.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 209
Looks like you got some starter stuff from the pics. Can't see much but it seems like you have an ATR exhaust with cut-out, An adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a 3 inch down-pipe, some sort of an after market crossover, a billet replacement vacuum block on your throttle body, plug wires, KN filter, adjustable wastegate, aftermarket inlet pipe, fender braces, valve cover oil breather....an so on. Are the headers cracked? Are they stock? What's that big plug on that red wire on your passenger side?

Can't tell much more about some other stuff. There needs to be more investigation/research on the rest of the combo. Turbo? Injectors? Chip? Fuel pump? Information from instrumentation like oil pressure, boost, fuel pressure, RPM, voltage........so on. How does it sound? Not the exhaust, the motor.

How much info did the previous owner provide you with? "Knowing is half the battle".........I think I used to hear that during GI JOE cartoons when I was a kid.

Thx for that info I had no idea the car had that much... the previous owner didn't know much because he bought like it is over a year ago and has let it sit all this time. But i do know it has after market headers but i dnt knw what kind and has an exhaust leak up around the gasket area. Just put 50lb injectors a new chip and a full tune up on it plugs wires... idles rough still??? but when u get on it pulls strong... previous owner told me the car was stock

Hey that's a good eye thanks for that info.. I just recently added 50lb injectors and a chip which I probably need to upgrade it's says 100 octane on it... I've done plugs wires full tune up it runs pretty good but idles a little rough for some reason when I'm not on the gas... once I get that figured out I want to upgrade the turbo just don't knw which 1 would be good and I believe the motor internals are stock but I have no clue.

Welcome to the club! Tons of good information on this board (use search feature) to get you started in the right direction as well as lots of knowledgeable people. If you don't already have one, the very first thing you need above all else is a scantool of some sort and learn how to interpret the data. Can't begin diagnosing problems without one. Not to dampen your spirits but I would park the car and get a good chip in there to match your injectors and fuel. That 100 octane chip you have now likely has too much timing to be running pump gas (I'm assuming your not running race gas all the time). Can't go wrong with TurboTweak chips. Hold off on the go fast parts until you got her sorted out. Otherwise your problems will grow exponentially.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/

Also, sometimes it's the small things that make a big difference. Things like setting the TPS voltage, IAC set-up, thermostat temp, TV cable set-up, exhaust leaks before the turbo, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, spark plugs brand, gap, and heat range all make a big difference. And yes.....you need a scan tool.

One more thing.......Please don't take advise from NON-TURBO BUICK OWNERS. I hope I'm not insulting anyone here. But back in the day, this was my biggest mistake. The rules that apply to import, small-block and 5.0 guys just don't apply to us.

Also, sometimes it's the small things that make a big difference. Things like setting the TPS voltage, IAC set-up, thermostat temp, TV cable set-up, exhaust leaks before the turbo, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, spark plugs brand, gap, and heat range all make a big difference. And yes.....you need a scan tool.

One more thing.......Please don't take advise from NON-TURBO BUICK OWNERS. I hope I'm not insulting anyone here. But back in the day, this was my biggest mistake. The rules that apply to import, small-block and 5.0 guys just don't apply to us.
Lol gotcha

Forgot to mention, put a brake fluid flush on your to do list. The Powermaster unit has a love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with many owners. Running it with fluid as black as yours is, is not good for its well being. Fluid needs to be changed at least once a year (I change mine twice a year same time with engine oil). Don't let anyone tell you different. Not many people know the intricacies of this particular system, including many professional mechanics. Even yearly changes won't ensure problem free operation but its the single best thing you can do to help keep it drama free. Looks like you have the gray brake switch, which is a good thing, the accumulator looks original though. That along with a clogged check valve are common problem areas. Most will tell you not to waste time or money on the PM unit and make the switch to vacuum or hydroboost before it fails on you. Do a search on this and you'll be reading for hours. LOL! Good luck which ever way you decide.

Listen to 626gn. Words of wisdom.
With most other hotrods, you throw parts at them to go fast. With these things, knowledge is the key to hauling ass and making it last. All the info is here, "IF" your willing to spent the time to LEARN. It ain't that hard. We'll help you. This is your thread. You own it. There are no stupid questions here.

What state are you in? There are most likely many Turbo Buick people in your area. These are the best sources for hands on knowledge and correct parts. You are now part of a Turbo Buick fraternity. Let's just say that we take care of our own.;)

Welcome to The Dark Side, Brother...:D

Happy spooling...
Mike Barnard

Forgot to mention, put a brake fluid flush on your to do list. The Powermaster unit has a love-hate (mostly hate) relationship with many owners. Running it with fluid as black as yours is, is not good for its well being. Fluid needs to be changed at least once a year (I change mine twice a year same time with engine oil). Don't let anyone tell you different. Not many people know the intricacies of this particular system, including many professional mechanics. Even yearly changes won't ensure problem free operation but its the single best thing you can do to help keep it drama free. Looks like you have the gray brake switch, which is a good thing, the accumulator looks original though. That along with a clogged check valve are common problem areas. Most will tell you not to waste time or money on the PM unit and make the switch to vacuum or hydroboost before it fails on you. Do a search on this and you'll be reading for hours. LOL! Good luck which ever way you decide.
Thx been reading half the night learning alot already.

Listen to 626gn. Words of wisdom.
With most other hotrods, you throw parts at them to go fast. With these things, knowledge is the key to hauling ass and making it last. All the info is here, "IF" your willing to spent the time to LEARN. It ain't that hard. We'll help you. This is your thread. You own it. There are no stupid questions here.

What state are you in? There are most likely many Turbo Buick people in your area. These are the best sources for hands on knowledge and correct parts. You are now part of a Turbo Buick fraternity. Let's just say that we take care of our own.;)

Happy spooling...
Mike Barnard
I'm in Fort Lauderdale Florida... this is all good info

As I remember, they had over 50 Turbo Buicks show up last year.:)

I agree. The friends I have made because of our common interest in these cars are friends I will have for life. It's been 20 years and a lot of people have come and go, girlfriends and family too. But some how I can't get rid of my Buick friends, even when we disagree and scream at each other.:D

Don't get discouraged when you get stuck on a problem. Everything is hard until you know it.......and then you know it and then it's easy.