Newbie Downpipe question???

Red87GN

I've have read it seems like a thousand downpipe posts but haven't found the one that answers my question. Which downpipe would be a step above stock and would work with my stock wastegate? How much of a performance gain would be realized. Does the Duttweiler neck on stock IC really give a pretty good gain? Thanks John

If you accept the fact that much of the restriction is in the stock elbow, there's little point in using the stock elbow, ported or not, and changing out the stock DP for a larger, straighter one.

That being the case, when you're ready to step up to a larger downpipe that replaces the stock elbow, Terry Houston is waiting...

:D

I so strongly recommend the terry houston it is one piece stainless steel 3" of pure ground pounding fun :D

Downpipe and elbow?

Ok excuse my ignorance. When you buy the new downpipes do most of them include the built in style wastegate? Where can I do some research about these things? Right now my car has all the stock components. Does the wastegate connect to the rod the same way like the stock one? Can someone explain this to me. John

ATR stock replacement?

What do you guys think about the ATR 2.5" stock replacement downpipe? Will it give me anything over stock? Just not ready to spend the money on a $400 pipe right now.
John

If you look of UNGN's test on pipes, they are not that much gains for the money spent. ( Near stock engine)
Like the other post, no need to upgrade until you go with a Mease - TH style DP.
The gain on the Duttweiler is about 2 psi over stock, so I feel it is a good gain for the money spent.
There are different styles of DP. Ones that work with your stock elbow that has the wastegate others that are a a custom elbow with the wastgate (Mease, TH), and then there are DP where an external wastegate are used.

Re: ATR stock replacement?

Originally posted by Red87GN
What do you guys think about the ATR 2.5" stock replacement downpipe? Will it give me anything over stock? Just not ready to spend the money on a $400 pipe right now.
John

Throw the ATR catalog away. Does it still tell you that you need a double pumper and headers to run 11's?

A ported elbow with a gutted cat and a free flowing exhaust (or dump) will give you your best bang for the buck.

The ATR 2.5" downpipe is a nice piece, but there are hundreds sitting around in garages of people that upgraded to integral puck TH style downpipes. Post a parts wanted request on this BB if you want one. It's stainess so it will look the same after 30K miles as it does after 30 miles.

Even into the high 11's, a 3" Downpipe is only worth a tenth and a mph over a ported elbow combination.