New toy!!!!

jpwalt1987

After about 9 months of research and saving money I finally purchased an HTP 221 TIG welder. A coworker let me try the dry rig he has here at the plant and I was instantly hooked. I have been welding off and on since high school but am really self taught. I am excited to think about the projects I will be able to do once I get some time under the hood.

Attachments

• 1441947794256.jpg
    1441947794256.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 172
Technology sure has come a looonng way since I bought my Lincoln sq wave unit!:)
Mine is a wet unit, but is also the size of a VW!!.. Probably weighs as much, too!
Have fun, Jer. Make some "stuff".:smuggrin:

Congratulations on your purchase!:) I bought a precision 225 last year and have used it a lot. I'm also self taught so I was spending 6-8 hours a day making row after row of practice welds and going through a tank of argon every 1-2 days.

Aside from repetition I found youtube videos from Jody @ welding tips and tricks to be very informative. When you get a chance post up some pics so that you can get tips/feedback from some of the welders on here.

I have probably watched every video that Jody has put out on YouTube!! Lol. I am very pleased with the way steel has been turning out but the aluminum is kicking my ass. I really just need to learn the machine settings and what each thickness calls for along with the AC balance etc. I'm getting there ..... Slowly! So far I absolutely love this machine.

I have probably watched every video that Jody has put out on YouTube!! Lol. I am very pleased with the way steel has been turning out but the aluminum is kicking my ass. I really just need to learn the machine settings and what each thickness calls for along with the AC balance etc. I'm getting there ..... Slowly! So far I absolutely love this machine.
What are you using for shielding gas on the aluminum? What about the tip, thiorated %, 2%?
Is the aluminum clean? Can't be brushed with regular steel brush to clean it.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

100% Argon , 2% Lanthanated, #7 gas lens on a 17 torch, and I used a stainless brush to clean it. I probably should have wiped it with some acetone too. I realize I didn't have enough amps for a 1/8th lap joint. It was only at 90. The miller weld website says 105-130 amps.

I am going to make adjustments in the morning before work and give it another try. Learn from mistskes made.

There are no mistakes, just trial passes.
New stainless brush? Can't use it for anything but aluminum.

Then I would say, practice, practice, practice. You will be stacking dimes in no time.

Cleaned the aluminum and filler with acetone. Adjusted the machine to 140 amps, 60 hz and 60 AC balance. Fresh tungsten and the gas at 20cfh with #7 gas lense. Much better. I still need to fine tune the ac balance and hz. I am going to start over with a new workpiece and give it some more practice.

Here is a picture of a V band flange I had mig welded before but wasn't happy with the way it looked. I just washed over it with the tig. I think I used 80amps on the machine and the foot pedal.

Practiced doing an edge weld on some aluminum intake tubing.
50 amps, 80hz, 10 PPS, and ac balance set on 75 I think. Not bad for the first attempt at this kind of weld.

Attachments

• 1443658685596.jpg
    1443658685596.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 64
Not bad at all... In fact it looks like you did a very good job of watching the heat or the edge would have went away. I have a transformer machine so I can't give much input on the inverter settings but it looks like you've got good cleaning action as well.

Thanks mike!! I figured this is the kind of materials I will be welding more often than not. I believe that the higher AC frequency and being able to dial in the balance helped shape the bead and the pulse feature helped keep too much heat from building up. Background current was 50% and pulse duration was 33%. Trial and error will prove out the settings.

This is a butt weld I did. I experimented with a wide array of settings. Its not great but I will get better.

Attachments

• 1443660802565.jpg
    1443660802565.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 65
After reading your post I do recall Jody @ welding tips & tricks saying 33% across the board was a good place to start but I think you've found what works for you.

Good stuff. I took some classes last year then got busy with work and moved also. Needless to say I am anxious to get back to it. Best thing that helped me was getting a 2.0 cheater lens so I could see close up. A super short arc is the key + a steady hand/pace and right sized tungsten and filler rod. Smaller is usually better.