new to site have question please help

jason85gn

i have an 85 gn w/ an 87 drivetrain.i need to replace the crank sensor.i removed the bolts but i can't remove sensor from behind the balancer.please help Jay

You can pull the balancer, it is keyed! I just unbolted the complete bracket and then swapped the bracket over and put it right back on, it slips in very easily from behind the balancer that way.

,Dan

just spin the balancer so the metal ring till the large window is on the sensor and loosen the bolt that squeeezes the sensor and slide out and replace then turn the balancer till in slot of sensor then use a match cover to set the space or clearance!!!!

i notice on the sensor there is a skinny long bolt.do i remove that so i can remove the sensor when the large window is in place?
jay

after i removed the 2 bolts and brought the metal ring to the large opening,i could not remove it because behind the sensor there is a dowl pin,so it gets caught.

You should be able to remove the long screw then push the physical sensor out of the double pronged aluminum bracket. As lpaulabbott said, you will also need to rotate the balancer so that the window is centered so that the sensor itself is clear of the reluctor ring. Also, make a note which slot the reluctor ring passes through so you don't re-install the new one and use the wrong slot. Been there done that. The sensor is made to come off the bracket, this is why some parts stores sell just the sensor without the bracket.
HTH.
Patrick

You should be able to remove the long screw then push the physical sensor out of the double pronged aluminum bracket. As lpaulabbott said, you will also need to rotate the balancer so that the window is centered so that the sensor itself is clear of the reluctor ring. Also, make a note which slot the reluctor ring passes through so you don't re-install the new one and use the wrong slot. Been there done that. The sensor is made to come off the bracket, this is why some parts stores sell just the sensor without the bracket.
HTH.
Patrick

couldnt have said it better thanks for saving my fingers