New Product: The ISAC

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
For the last year or so, Shane and I have been working on a new controller for alcohol systems, the ISAC (Injection Systems Alcohol Controller). Going in, we decided we really weren't interested in doing a complete kit (Although this may change if we spring for a new pump design) but instead wanted to concentrate on a controller that could be used with the majority of the systems on the market. We mostly managed to keep the controller under wraps, with only a few people knowing anything about it outside of those involved in the development. We're very close to testing status so we decided now would be as good a time as any to introduce the controller to the Turbo Buick (and visiting) world. I had intended to show the unit off at Richard Clark's get together and carried the unit around with me all day along with my laptop but the opportunity just never arose to show it off.

Here is the hardware.

Front

IMG00077.jpg

Back

IMG00078.jpg

Sorry for the less than optimum photos.. Ill replace them tomorrow when I get to work and have access to my camera cable.

Here is a feature list of the controller.

2 pump compatible outputs. Run staged pumps, dual pumps (both pumps run
at the same time), or use one output for a window switch.

2 relay/solenoid compatible outputs. For boost control, with single or
dual solenoids, internal or external gate, dual boost setpoints. If using
a single solenoid, the second output can be used as a window switch, shift
light, etc. Boost control is configurable for wastegate pressure feedback
or can use the MAP sensor.

Shift / gear input to change boost target for launching or gearchange.

Adjustable boost ramp time.

USB communication, upload/download settings, logging of the system. USB
communication uses native Windows USB communication mode, no driver
installation required. The software is also a self contained EXE. Nothing to install and can be run from a USB thumbdrive.

Low alky tank level indicator,

Pump pressure indicator.

Internal 4 bar MAP sensor, can connect an external MAP or pressure sensor.

TPS and RPM thresholds along with pressure. Prevents draining the alky
tank if there is a pressure sensor problem.

Configurable user adjustment knob, can be set as a boost adjustment, alky
flow adjustment, or target AFR adjustment.

Closed loop AFR control of alky injection using wideband feedback.

Unit also has a built in data logger for reviewing data after runs.

Here are some shots of the software, which as you can see is still in pre-beta stage. At this point, the controller is hardware complete, the software is just being polished up and some features added.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

Our original plan was to have the unit calibrate very similar to a FAST or BS3, whereas you controlled the flow by a 2D table, boost vs RPM. After thinking it over, we decided that might be overly complicated for an alcohol controller and instead opted for a calculated curve that you could tweak with sliders.

The hardware is, of course, field updateable via flashing through the USB port so features can be added and bugs corrected after the unit ships. It would be nice to think the units would ship bug free but it's like everything else.. someone will always find some sort of obscure bug. We planned ahead for that with field flashability.

We should begin field testing the unit within 2 weeks or so. Ive talked to a couple of people about testing the controller on various kits. If everything goes according to plans and the hardware performs to our expectations, we will most likely move to a small production run shortly thereafter.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away.

Once again thinking beyond the accepted norm. You guys gotta stop doing this. It's got my head going on what I can do "wrong" now. Do you have a projected cost for production models? I assume it can include some form of wiring harness? For those of us that are somewhat electrically challenged!

It comes with a complete wiring harness. Im not sure about sensors yet. I have a line on a couple of sensors that can handle the pressure and medium we'll be working with. One of the advantages about running a race car on alcohol ;) Ive had to do a lot of research on this :)

Im hoping the controller will be well under $400. It also works with the following widebands. Innovative LM1 and lC1, AEM, Dynojet, PLX Devices and the Powerdex AFX unit. We can add others later but these units are supported "out of the box."

If you run alky, Nitrious, or a 7th injector all can be controlled by this!

The boost controller is simply awesome in this thing. Finally a box with everything you need in one!

As Jay said we are going to get some more test units soon and we will give them to some guys how DD their TR's and race them! Should be some great feedback!

It's plug and play! No more guessing if you got the right amount of alky spraying:biggrin: :biggrin:

Sweet. This sounds like a neat item for a small turbo-spooling (only) shot of giggle juice maybe....:biggrin:

Nice to see you guys are still coming up with new ideas for TB's. That is very kool.

It appears we should have a few beta units in hand within the next few weeks. Hopefully a production run wont be far behind.

We're also looking at the possibility of coming out with a new complete system.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APv1YLk7Aes[/YOUTUBE]

Some video of the ISAC in action.

Had a discussion with Bob today.. we're going to move the pressure sensor out of the control box and put it under the hood. This is being done for a couple of reasons.

First, it will make it easier to supply sensors to the diesel guys. Ive been asked for 100+ PSI sensors for the diesel guys and I have a source for the sensor but then you have to mess with disabling the internal sensor, interfacing the external, etc. This way we have two sensors that we can ship with the unit, a 75 PSI and a 150 PSI. This will also make things easier for the boost controller aspect where people want to use CO2 because the 75 PSI sensor would be the one you use to measure wastegate pressure.

Second, it's easier to install the unit if you dont have to run a vacuum line all the way into the car. Gives you more options for mounting it too when you only have to deal with wires and not a brass nipple and vacuum line out the back.

Last but not least, a lot of people have existing sensors. Some alcohol systems come with external sensors already.. some cars have 3 bar sensors already.. so we're going to essentially just add all the existing sensors we can find into the software. This will bring the cost of the unit down some for people who already have sensors and make installation easier.

Jay,

Does this have he same connector on it as say a Razor kit? I'm guessing this replaces wha I already have. Plug and play would be nice.

Jay,

Does this have he same connector on it as say a Razor kit? I'm guessing this replaces wha I already have. Plug and play would be nice.

Given that the ISAC does a lot more than just control an alcohol pump, it's difficult to make it plug and play but it's not a difficult install. This is a universal replacement for pretty much any kit and since everyone uses different pumps/connectors, it would be hard to make it a drop in.