New Personal Best with Stock Longblock, Alky, and TA-49

1KWIK6

UNDER PRESSURE!!!
Back on 12/12/2010, I decided to take my '87 GN to State Capitol Raceway in Baton Rouge for it's inaugural passes. The temp was about 50* and the track was well-prepped.

My mods: K&N air filter, LS1 maf, T+, TA-49, AlkyControl single nozzle kit, ThunderFab SLIC, RJC PP, RJC boost controller, hot-wired Walbro fp, TT 6.0 chip, new valvesprings, 50# MSD FI, CK Perf shift kit, 3" THDP, 2.5" dual exhaust, RR airbag, and M/T 275/60 DRs. The only weight savings that I have are Weld Pro-Star rims and removing the front sway bar. All passes on 93 pump gas and alky. I launch the car off the foot brake.

I was pleasantly surprised when my GN's first-ever pass was an 11.22@120.8 through the exhaust on a 1.643 60'. For my next run, I uncapped the exhaust and was rewarded with:

60' - 1.518
330- 4.467
1/8- 6.985
mph- 97.32
1000-9.162
1/4- 11.013
MPH- 121.34

The boost was a hair more than 26#.

Fast forward to 3/6/2011.
I made the following changes to my setup: converted to dual nozzle alky, added ATR rear swaybar, installed Extender chip.

It had rained the previous 2 days and the track was not as well-prepped. The temp was around 58*.

I am still trying to fine-tune my launch with the dual nozzles. My 1st run was a disappointing 60' of 1.718 and 11.13@122.74

The fuel was rich, so I adjusted the boost controller and made another run:

60' - 1.643
330- 4.553
1/8 - 7.027
mph- 99.09
1000-9.166
1/4 - 10.982
MPH- 123.81

The boost maxed at ~29.5#.

I was very happy with the pass, but I wanted to try for another 1.51 60'. After the engine cooled down, I made one more pass:

60' - 1.598
330- 4.522
1/8 - 6.992
mph- 99.29
1000-9.128
1/4 - 10.940
MPH- 124.17

I'm very happy with the performance, but I know that it has at least another tenth in the 60'.

I would like to thank Julio for offering us a convenient and well-designed alky kit. I never would've believed that this kind of performance was available on pump gas.

Finally, the other stock longblock GN that I had in the 10's had a TE45a turbo and a loose torque converter. I wish that I knew then what I know now. ;)

Here is a pic from the track on 3/6/11.....

Attachments

• GNtrack2 (Small).JPG
    GNtrack2 (Small).JPG
    55 KB · Views: 1,138
Nice! I wanted to run a 10 with my stock long block and 49. Unfortunately I took the engine out before I made my goal. I did do a 11.3, but that was it. Your car definitely has everything working together very well. There are people on here with a ton more that haven't come close to your number. Nice work!

same here i cracked 2 pistons at 11.1 on the 49,just can't complain about the stock stuff when it runs so good for so long.congratulations on your 10.9;)

Geez man, that is a great run!!!
way to go! How do you get the 60' down so well, track must be prepped extra good.
Awesome

Nice, also curious about launch psi?
What's your timing in 3rd?

You probably need to move the Alky turn on point to lean out the launch a bit to get back to that 1.51 60ft.

Are you running 30psi with pump gas and Alky?

congrats on the new best...in the 10s with a ta49 gives me hope as my set up is similar to yours and to think we got buick gurus with super triple double bearing billet turbos and XFI that cant get 10s:biggrin:

:eek: Damn! Nice numbers sir! That is one seriously quick car. Congrats!

So when do you want to pull mine in to your shop and make it do that? :D

Impressive! Not many push the 49 that far.

Thank you all for the compliments! :)

Great job, what would it run without the meth?

It wouldn't...lol! I wouldn't run it that hard without meth or race gas. I'm not sure what you're asking, but it would probably run mid-upper 11's at ~115 or so on straight pump gas based on my last car.

forgot to ask,what converter and stall?launch boost?

Factory Stock D5 converter. I try to launch @ 20#.

Nice, also curious about launch psi?
What's your timing in 3rd?

You probably need to move the Alky turn on point to lean out the launch a bit to get back to that 1.51 60ft.

Are you running 30psi with pump gas and Alky?

Timing was 23/21. I did play with the turn on point somewhat, but I still have some tweaking to do. Yes, pump gas and methanol.

:eek: Damn! Nice numbers sir! That is one seriously quick car. Congrats!

So when do you want to pull mine in to your shop and make it do that? :D

Whenever your better half will cut you loose! ;)

How the heck are ya launching that think.......do you have one of those quick release anchors?

Lol....no.

I build ~5# of boost, prestage, bring the boost up to ~15#, stage, and drop the hammer on the last yellow.

Oh.... and my left leg is alot bigger than the right! :eek:

I had a transbrake on my last car. Things got real expensive, real fast when I used it. I'm trying to keep this car as close to stock as possible.

do you have a pte.63 or a garret.63 ex housing?and do you know the actual weight of the car?a d5 converter with a shift kit.my 49 car went through several trannies.

It wouldn't...lol! I wouldn't run it that hard without meth or race gas. I'm not sure what you're asking, but it would probably run mid-upper 11's at ~115 or so on straight pump gas based on my last car.

I dont think you'll get into the 11's on a stock longblock and a 49 at 15-16 PSI boost with low timing(18-20).

124 MPH= 550 HP?

Stock longblock at 15-16 lbs = 280-300 HP?

The power difference is from running additional timing 21/23 and extra boost.

I agree with you 110%.. I wouldnt run it hard without octane..

Your the fastest 49 I know off using pump gas :D

Thank you, guys!

VERY impressive! Does the car have a cage?

No cage. The track officials aren't very happy with me.:eek:

do you have a pte.63 or a garret.63 ex housing?and do you know the actual weight of the car?a d5 converter with a shift kit.my 49 car went through several trannies.

Garrett .63

Don't know the actual weight, but it is at full weight other than the wheels and front swaybar. Add in 215# for me. I bought some aluminum bumper supports but never got around to installing them. Remember....the '87 GNs have the heavy iron supports.

The car has less than 38K original miles. Knock on wood.... I've found that the stock trans can take a lot of abuse if you install a shift kit before you turn up the boost. Once it slips, game over.