New personal best... 6.5 @ 108.1mph 1/8th mile

TurboBuick86

Well I know some of you here have seen or heard of my car with previous E85 setup, but due to tranny problems ive been down since late march. I lost interest with the car for a bit due to lack of money but I stayed focused and finally got it back on the road last Thursday night with the help of gabby Rojas tuning the car.

Since it's last time out in January this year, it ran 6.6 @ 105 with a 1.50 60'ft @ low 30's psi.

- old fuel system was trickflow 120lbers, dual pumps, -8 feed to stock fuel rail.

As of Friday night we went out and only got one pass and boy what a difference.

- car now has 160lb injectors, same pump, same feed, same rail.

And it ran 6.5 @ 108.1 with a crappy 1.6 60'ft at 28psi.
After the the run we looked at the file on the PL and noticed WOT timing was at 18-19 degrees timing so this thing wasn't even running any where near its potential.

The a/f is at 11.5-11.8 and inj duty cycle is around 55-60% so more boost soon.

Big thanks to Eric Marshall for his help.

Good run, it should be even a bit quicker when the temps cool down a bit now. Thats off the Footbrake right?

What up Chris, yea I don't have a Transbrake, nor do I think I will be needing one. This thing leaves like a T/B launch. : )

And yes without touching the boost, more timing & just a harder 60ft and cooler weather it should crack 6.3's

Well I know some of you here have seen or heard of my car with previous E85 setup, but due to tranny problems ive been down since late march. I lost interest with the car for a bit due to lack of money but I stayed focused and finally got it back on the road last Thursday night with the help of gabby Rojas tuning the car.

Since it's last time out in January this year, it ran 6.6 @ 105 with a 1.50 60'ft @ low 30's psi.

- old fuel system was trickflow 120lbers, dual pumps, -8 feed to stock fuel rail.

As of Friday night we went out and only got one pass and boy what a difference.

- car now has 160lb injectors, same pump, same feed, same rail.

And it ran 6.5 @ 108.1 with a crappy 1.6 60'ft at 28psi.
After the the run we looked at the file on the PL and noticed WOT timing was at 18-19 degrees timing so this thing wasn't even running any where near its potential.

The a/f is at 11.5-11.8 and inj duty cycle is around 55-60% so more boost soon.

Big thanks to Eric Marshall for his help.

I really hope you meant 10.5-10.8 if not your living on the ragged edge.

A quote from a book i recently read ( alum can become fuel too.. ) talking about melting pistons

I'm pretty sure he meant what he said. Andy's car likes it lean and mean! Always has, and remember the 1/8 not the 1/4. I believe the cooling effect of E85 allows this. Congratulations Andy!

Like Jason said, my motor likes the leaner a/f. I've yet to find a problem even when I ran 12+ a/f ratios.

I'll worry about it "when" it happens. My setup is nothing special at all, yet it makes more power than many of the serious build setups on here. It just comes down to the tune.

Like Jason said, my motor likes the leaner a/f. I've yet to find a problem even when I ran 12+ a/f ratios.

I'll worry about it "when" it happens. My setup is nothing special at all, yet it makes more power than many of the serious build setups on here. It just comes down to the tune.

kewl

The one thing to remember is alcohol fuels don't tend to knock. so don't try to tune using the knock sensor. I hope your using a EGT cause alcohols tend to go into pre-ignition.

What type of wide band are u using? Have you verrfied the A/F with another one?

Sounds like you got it going on!

kewl

The one thing to remember is alcohol fuels don't tend to knock. so don't try to tune using the knock sensor. I hope your using a EGT cause alcohols tend to go into pre-ignition.

What type of wide band are u using? Have you verrfied the A/F with another one?

Sounds like you got it going on!

From my readings 11.4 is max rich power. Many other guys - supras, turbo mustangs etc like to run around 12-12.5 AFR on the gas scale. I had my car at 10.5 and definintly plan to lean it out. It felt a lot nicer when I targeted 11 from 10.5.

What EGT's should we be seeing with E85? I have yet to see a good answer.

From my readings 11.4 is max rich power. Many other guys - supras, turbo mustangs etc like to run around 12-12.5 AFR on the gas scale. I had my car at 10.5 and definintly plan to lean it out. It felt a lot nicer when I targeted 11 from 10.5.

What EGT's should we be seeing with E85? I have yet to see a good answer.
Well I think 1600 still is the Target since its simply the thermal heat that makes the cylinder pressure and where the limit of the heat is on the parts

My recent text from Gabby

Hey tell those guys on the forum that i've ran up to 1800* & a/f of 14.5-14.7 & nothing happend. That my motor & this pistons are in the same motor I'm running it hard in the vids. Stock crank! The only thing that did happen was the wide band sensor burned out LOL...that's it! That that was unrelated to the tune.

My recent text from Gabby

Hey tell those guys on the forum that i've ran up to 1800* & a/f of 14.5-14.7 & nothing happend. That my motor & this pistons are in the same motor I'm running it hard in the vids. Stock crank! The only thing that did happen was the wide band sensor burned out LOL...that's it! That that was unrelated to the tune.
My god, 14.5 AFR :confused:. He talking about WOT AFR right? That's some ballsy move there. Tell him to get on the boards and start posting some more info! I would like to hear about his E85 trials and tribulations. Especially what his boost/AFR/timing is now.

That won't happen. Sorry, but this board is full of naysayers that he'd rather not be bothered with. Proof is all over Youtube, google search, and the search box here. There are many TB guys out there that won't come on here or have stopped posting. At times, I see why.

That won't happen. Sorry, but this board is full of naysayers that he'd rather not be bothered with. Proof is all over Youtube, google search, and the search box here. There are many TB guys out there that won't come on here or have stopped posting. At times, I see why.
There's probably naysayers at the track, but he still goes there ;). I've tried to search about his car a couple times, but only got general info. I was hoping for the stuff I was looking for such as boost/AFR/timing amongst a few other things. Also I wonder what his car was set at with the 14.5 AFR run, and whether it was intentional or not.

Is Eric making 160lb chips now? I might have to get a peice of that action.....

Steve, You can't just order one. You Max out the 120's yet? That's a prerequisite.

Jason, Gabby is a really cool guy. However being on the phone with him requires you to sit and take notes and I do mean pen and paper. I do...laugh if you want. When I didn't take his advice...results were insignificant. When I do I smile from ear to ear. As with most people he hates repeating himself and being challenged on what he has done already with success vs. what "Timmy Turbo" on the board who doesnt even use E-85 says. Get my drift? Remember the Sound Performance Dyno Day Amy's GN on E-85 that was 11.8-12.0 A/F both pulls and she left with all pistons and gaskets in tact. The video is on YouTube

Steve, You can't just order one. You Max out the 120's yet? That's a prerequisite.

Jason, Gabby is a really cool guy. However being on the phone with him requires you to sit and take notes and I do mean pen and paper. I do...laugh if you want. When I didn't take his advice...results were insignificant. When I do I smile from ear to ear. As with most people he hates repeating himself and being challenged on what he has done already with success vs. what "Timmy Turbo" on the board who doesnt even use E-85 says. Get my drift? Remember the Sound Performance Dyno Day Amy's GN on E-85 that was 11.8-12.0 A/F both pulls and she left with all pistons and gaskets in tact. The video is on YouTube

Care to share a few things that netted you the significant results? Thanks for the replies :D And damn you Timmy Turbo for not letting us have nice things :mad: ;)

Care to share a few things that netted you the significant results? Thanks for the replies :D And damn you Timmy Turbo for not letting us have nice things :mad: ;)

I know a small little trick that works for them, pump some e85 and turn the boost up i mean UP its nothing new Bison has always said it. People are scared to turn the wick up. Most guys want to run 10's on a stock longblock at 22 psi and alky.. its not going to work feed that bitch some boost and if your scared it might blow then going fast aint for you.. ( not directly towards you but to the audience) Rafs your cool w. me :cool: But it is what it is, just like the other threAd i read stock longblock 10'80s you think that guy is running under 30 psi hell no the boost is up and octane is there. Tune Tune Tune. BOOST

Gabby built my motor about 4 years ago and we've never damaged any bottom end problems at all. Hell, I have yet to even blow a head gasket. And I've worked my way up the e-85/turbo scale from 42lbers/stock turbo, then 84lbers/te61, 120lbers/72GTQ , and now 160lbers with same turbo.

He has all the buicks down here running on E85 that he works on, and we post up the numbers but like many on this board, the non-believers still chime in and say useless information. His setup has been posted on here a few times, more info than that he isn't gonna give up. We all are racers, and we all have our secrets.