new owner from Nebraska

Santos Moreno

I recently purchased(1 week ago) 87 Grand national. Ive always wanted this car but all I could afford back then (22 years ago) was and 81 cutlass supreme that I still have. Its an 86000 original mile car, it has original paint per my friend the painter. the interior is a 7 out of 10, the exterior 9 out of 10 clear coat is cracking and the engine is a 7 out of 10 it has a idling problem. I might have been blinded by the car at time of purchase and could only lowered the price by 500dlls. I paid 10gs for this car anticipating on spending another 10 to get it to what I want. DO YOU GUYS THINK I OVERPAID FOR IT ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. BY THE WAY THE MILES ARE DOCUMENTED AND THE GUY I BOUGHT IT WAS MOVING OVERSEAS PERMANENTLY AND HAS HAD IT ON STORAGE FOR THE LAST 10 YEARS.

Welcome aboard!! lots of good people, and info on this site... Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Welcome aboard Santos....you'll find lots of advice here. Use the "search" function liberally and you'll be well rewarded!

It's tough to say if you overpaid without seeing pics. All I can tell you is that I paid $6500 for my 87 GN last summer. It had 88,000 miles and is a 7 out of 10 both inside and out. I had to spend another $600 or so to get it running right. It needed the usual spring cleaning items. Welcome to the site by the way. I have found it to be the most valuable resource out there to get to know these cars.

Hey you never posted pics of your new ride. And it doesn't sound like you got a bad deal to me. It wasn't a steal, but you didn't get gouged either. Sounds like a fair price, and hey, you finally got something you wanted for over 20 years!

It took me awhile, but here is a pic of the car, and one pic of my two mistresses
456356_400421023308727_100000224971361_1858890_1074114364_o (2).jpg
461400_416831291667700_100000224971361_1918776_533123705_o (2).jpg

Welcome to the site. I live in Lincoln so I'm not too far from you.

Otes.
Is nice to know you are not that far. I need some info for a mechanic, so far Ive asked around and nobody really wants to deal with this car. I want to get it running right and then start making a shopping list for performance upgrades. So far, ive heard of a shop in Springfield, ne Lutz repair and if so have you dealt with that shop... any info would be appriciated
479485_400419336642229_100000224971361_1858888_1421278283_o (2).jpg
random.jpg

Honestly I bet it just needs a good tuneup and spring cleaning. Clean out the IAC with throttle body cleaner and run the old gas out of it then put new plugs wires and an o2 sensor in it and go from there. Double check all the vac lines, hoses, serp belt, and tires for dry rot and replace as needed. And basically change every liquid in it including brake fluid. Make sure the driver's header isn't cracked.

If I was in omaha I'd be happy to swing by and help and next time I wind up heading that way I'll get in touch with you to maybe swing by.

Honestly I bet it just needs a good tuneup and spring cleaning. Clean out the IAC with throttle body cleaner and run the old gas out of it then put new plugs wires and an o2 sensor in it and go from there. Double check all the vac lines, hoses, serp belt, and tires for dry rot and replace as needed. And basically change every liquid in it including brake fluid. Make sure the driver's header isn't cracked.

If I was in omaha I'd be happy to swing by and help and next time I wind up heading that way I'll get in touch with you to maybe swing by.

That would be cool.... This will be my first attempt at dealing with a turbo car where every single electrical component, vacuum hose, etc etc needs to work in order for it to run right. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Is nice to know you are not that far. I need some info for a mechanic, so far Ive asked around and nobody really wants to deal with this car. I want to get it running right and then start making a shopping list for performance upgrades. So far, ive heard of a shop in Springfield, ne Lutz repair and if so have you dealt with that shop... any info would be appriciated

On one of these weekends that both of us have free time I can come up and take a look at it and maybe can at worst tell you what could be wrong with it. I know alot on the mechanical side of things, most of the electrical/vacuum and the only thing I lack in is the fine tuning. I can atleast get you a safe tune, but right now I'm not perfect for that dialed in tune.
I haven't heard of a shop in Springfield so I can't comment on his work. So is the car pretty much just stock and what goals would you like to see. From what I see in the picture I would think the price could be close to going price, but would have to see in person. I paid 5k for mine with great interior was a one owner car just needed rear main seal, paint and the only body work done was the sanding and prep for paint since the body was all rust and damage free. I see that you want to spend another 10k, but thats what I thought and I have now just spent over 25k in mine and the only thing wrong with mine was the paint was starting to crack and rear main seal started to leak. Had in 2010 the engine rebuilt just stock because for some reason I thought thats what I wanted since I didn't know at the time anything about these cars. Then I pulled the engine out again the winter of 2011 with only 1800 miles to redo it again with what I now have in my signature and I'm still not done till atleast another 10k. Well let me know if you would like to meet up some weekend to take a look at it and help get it running better.

Otes.

Very nice.:) Looks like you scored a sweet deal. It's getting harder to find clean ones. Lots of good parts, advice, and people here. Take your time and read first, before you make changes. These engines make a lot of power, but can be a bit finicky. If things arn't quite right, you can (and will) hurt parts. When done properly, they'll make huge power and live a long and happy life. Let us know if you need a hand.

And congrats on a very nice Turbo Buick.

Mike Barnard

Welcome aboard! A few of us turbo Buick guys go down to the track near Pacific Junction. Stop down,we would love to have another car there!