New member with a problem (long)

Gunner Jake

Hi guys I've been lurking around here for a couple of months and decided it was time to become a member, and I hope you guys can help me out. I've been building and racing cars all my life but my 85 GN is my first turbo car and I can tell you it's like nothing I've ever driven. Well anyway on to the question my GN has developed this nasty habit of smoking and loosing power whenever I get to the last 1/4 of a tank, If I refill it (with 93) and park it for 30 or 40 minutes it clears up and the power comes back. I really want this motor to last me over the winter while i build the new one. ( Fresh 3.8 block, 86-87 coil adapter,bowling green down pipe, 110cc heads from Ron's Performance, Garrett 48*65 turbo, Hotchkins Intercooler , 7th injector and other goodies) anybody got suggestion? I'm hoping it's something like a bad fuel filter which would explain the loss of power but not the smoking. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated thanx:D

Welcome!

Sounds like maybe your running to low on gas. The gauges aren't
real accurate. With the in-tank pump the gas actually keeps the
pump from overheating. Might just be a matter of fueling a little
sooner.

I would change the filter and keep at least a 1/4 tank in. Mine runs out of gas when the gauge reads between 1/4 - 1/8 full.

Originally posted by 85t-type
I would change the filter and keep at least a 1/4 tank in. Mine runs out of gas when the gauge reads between 1/4 - 1/8 full.
You too huh? well at least it's not just me thanx guys

My gauge NEVER gets too low. I'd say it bottoms out at no less than 1/10th or so. My low fuel light has never come on, and I've drained the tank completely (when I changed my pump).

Dave