new member....sadly not an owner...yet

bill-e-boy

hey fellow GN fans, the GN has been my dream car since I was 13 years old.....joined this site to learn and dream.......I want to know the difference between each year made b/t 84, 85, 86 & 87 too

Well if you plan on getting one of these cars, the FIRST thing you need to know is that these are very unique cars that can get expensive quickly. Things happen unexpectedly and you need to be prepared mentally as well as financially. You NEED a garage to put it in, you NEED tools, you NEED money, and most importantly you need knowledge. Listen to the people on this forum because they have the experience. Experience is very important with these cars as well so treat everyone on this forum very nicely. I haven't had my GN for that long and I'm learning very fast thanks to some of the guys on here. I hope you can find a nice car and that you don't lose your mind when you get one. These cars (especially when bought modded) can be a real puzzle if the person doesn't tell you the history of the car and everything that's on it. Good luck and welcome to the club :cool: ...even though you don't have the car yet haha :D

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

man......there are some beautiful cars here....and some nice ones for sale too looks like....and yes...from the post above....I need money for sure...and a garage.....and knowledge......when I was 16 I bought a grandma regal....had it completely stripped and painted everything black....it LOOKED like a grand national...but had absolutely NOOOOO power....I did have a nice stereo system just no get up and go..... ahhhh dreams of cruising in the regal :)

Bill,
Welcome to the site. We are very passionate here, about these great cars. If you share this passion, you're one of us. Many people buy a Turbo Buick and only learn about things as they brake them. If you take the time to learn now, you wont be braking as much stuff when you finally have one. What state do you live in? There are most likely people in your area, that would be glad to tell you all about their cars. Here's some good info to get you started. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/
Much of it you wont understand yet. Don't sweat it. Just scan through it, and try to get a feel of what it takes to wrap your head around these finicky little engines, that are capable of big power. Honestly, it ain't that hard. We'll help ya. Let us know if you have any questions.

Some day you can post a picture of your car here for other new guys to be inspired.:)

Welcome.

Mike Barnard

I'm in south Carolina.....looks like there's a wide variety of GN's priced from abt 7500 up to abt 22000 in this area in various conditions......

If you don't mind my 2 cents.... been a 87 GN owner for 20+ years. I have also owned many musclecars. The GN stands alone. It is unique, unusual and in a class by itself. Even in stock form these cars are a blast to drive. Its got a sinister look and stance and just plain looks like it means business standing still. Use mine for daily transport, car shows, grocery getting errand running and long distance trips. Its well suited to all of these tasks as well as fun at the track. The down side of the GN is that it is next to impossible to tune and diagnose without a scan tool, but the scanner is well worth the investment and will save you money in the long run by eliminating a lot of guesswork on faults in the cars engine electronics. This site is an excellent source of information and any problem you might have with a gn has been discussed and resolved here, one stop shopping. I tried to sell my GN twice in the past to buy other muscle cars and had cold hard cash waiting for me to grab it and I just couldn't pull the trigger. I love cruising around in it and its just so different its become a part of me and when father time pulls me off the roads it will be handed down to someone who will appreciate it as much as I do.

If you want to "occasionly" ; ) go fast narrow your search to 86 or 87. They came with a factory intercooler and are much faster stock than the hotair non intercooled 84 or 85. 87 is the highest production model of GN with 20,000+. The Hotair guys will tell you that you can ther 84,85s fast too but it will be a lot easier and cheaper to start with the 86,87. They are great cars! Once the GN bug bites you, no SBC will ever do again.

Oh and go watch the movie documentary called Black Air. A must see for the GN guys.

Listen to these guys. Already a ton of advice. Most important - take your time. When you find one, post the link, pictures and any mods done. We will help. You probably saw the one in Gastonia. We talked a guy out of buying it and was able to score a better deal and car. As Mike said, people here are passionate about these cars so they will not BS you. So don't be scared to ask questions/advice. Lastly, Black Air will motivate you to purchase one a lot sooner. My suggestion is to read Kirban's books and everything you can here. Save Black Air for after you get one. I require all passengers to watch it like you would when going on a thrill ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does seem a bit excessive but to each their own I guess. There are low mile GNXs that don't get that type of treatment! It is a rare car though for sure.
Biggest thing with your first one, take you time and find the right one. You don't want one someone else tried to do a bunch of mods to and never could get it running quite right and gave up. They are a blast though! To those that don't know what they are they will just think they are a Monte SS. Then you'll smoke the doors off them.

It does seem a bit excessive but to each their own I guess. There are low mile GNXs that don't get that type of treatment! It is a rare car though for sure.
Biggest thing with your first one, take you time and find the right one. You don't want one someone else tried to do a bunch of mods to and never could get it running quite right and gave up. They are a blast though! To those that don't know what they are they will just think they are a Monte SS. Then you'll smoke the doors off them.
haha...yep with my old 84 regal people always thought it was a monte carlo.....just the other day I showed a buddy a picture of a GN....and he said what is it?....a monte carlo???

Listen to these guys. Already a ton of advice. Most important - take your time. When you find one, post the link, pictures and any mods done. We will help. You probably saw the one in Gastonia. We talked a guy out of buying it and was able to score a better deal and car. As Mike said, people here are passionate about these cars so they will not BS you. So don't be scared to ask questions/advice. Lastly, Black Air will motivate you to purchase one a lot sooner. My suggestion is to read Kirban's books and everything you can here. Save Black Air for after you get one. I require all passengers to watch it like you would when going on a thrill ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes I saw the car in Gastonia....that was the one with alcohol mods done to it.....I don't think I'd look for one with a lot of mods......but right now I'm just having fun looking......there's a lot out there.......there's a turbo T in Simpsonville, nc (Charlotte, nc craigslist ad) that looks real, for 21,500.....big dollars for me though

my '84 regal limited back in the day (1989??)......was soon to be transformed

Attachments

• 205506_101504479937008_7921171_n.jpg
    205506_101504479937008_7921171_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 132
became this.....15x8 wheels....repainted all black...revinyled the black roof......killer sound system.......had a burgundy interior and on the passenger side dash the "buick regal" emblem glowed at night in a greenish color.....that was cool...it was not something I added, it came that way......always had people wanting to race but the little buick had no turbo

Attachments

• 218127_101503766603746_3135194_n.jpg
    218127_101503766603746_3135194_n.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 134