New Lifters Install Question

jskarateka

Got a noisy lifter. Not too bad but has been bugging me the last couple of years. No luck with the Seafoam trick.

Considering putting new lifters in. My questions are:

1) What and where for the lifter purchase?
2) How they should be broken in, if that is necessary?
3) Changed to Kirbans 100lb valve springs years ago, should I ditch those and go to the 80lb Cranes? (I am running ZDDP with 10-40 Mobile 1 full synthetic.
4) Am I stupid for only doing the lifters and not the cam? *

* The car sees track duty about 3 time per year and is extremely reliable. I'm worried if I fix what aint broke with the cam I may have trouble. That, and I had the water pump timing chain done about 6 years ago but I did not tackle that job myself. Lifters only I know I can do myself easily.

Any advise from you guys would be greatly appreciated as always. Thanks.

-Jim

Jim it seems like even the guys who have a great deal of experience with changing lifters and cams are having trouble these days with ticking lifters and flat cam lobes. My local machinist who has built motors for 30 years told me that he has lost a couple of flat tappet cams during the break-in period in the last year and he said he's never lost one prior to that.

Bottom line is even if you do everything by the book sometimes it can still go south on you. If your budget allows it... you would have the best chance of success installing a small roller cam kit from one of the guys here on the board and they could also give you a few installation tips.

Last edited:
Roller cam kit, Hmmmm. I will start reading some threads on that.

Would like it to be drop in though, some of the ones I remember reading years ago mentioned needing modification to the stock heads.

Thanks.

-Jim

Roller cam kit, Hmmmm. I will start reading some threads on that.

Would like it to be drop in though, some of the ones I remember reading years ago mentioned needing modification to the stock heads.

Thanks.

-Jim
I have had roller cams ground that will not require any head work that are very close in lobe lift to the stock cam but as a side benefit will have less overlap and a faster ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had roller cams ground that will not require any head work that are very close in lobe lift to the stock cam but as a side benefit will have less overlap and a faster ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can we get a recommendation on where to procure one of these "stock"type roller setups?