New Headliner

Looks good. That and a steering wheel are next for me. You said you were "pretty happy". Anything not right with the fit and finish?

It looks like it has alot of divots in it like the glue affected the foam.

Looks good. That and a steering wheel are next for me. You said you were "pretty happy". Anything not right with the fit and finish?

It took almost 3 weeks to get because they're made to order but it is a perfect fit. This is my first time to do one and I had no real trouble with it. The plastic is very rigid and maintains its shape well. You can bend it in half in fact and it won't ruin it.

IDK if I said, it comes ready to install. The fabric is already on it. They fold it in half and ship it to you.

DaySleeper, thanks for sharing this information on the headliners....my brother needs one for a sunroof Regal.....I'm sure he'll appreciate reading all of this.

It's also nice to know where to get some proper headliner glue......though my headliner on our '87 GN is still up, there may come a time when it starts to come down.

So thanks, very much appreciated......it'll be a big help for all of us.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Any tips for putting back on the side metal trim pieces above door openings.
It was a pain to get them off and now seems harder to put back.
Thanks in advance.

Any tips for putting back on the side metal trim pieces above door openings.
It was a pain to get them off and now seems harder to put back.
Thanks in advance.
Start by hooking the outboard ends of the clips into the metal piece outboard lip, then press up on the inboard half of the trim to snap them into place. You'll see that the clips are meant to be hooked on one side, then snapped on the other.

DaySleeper, thanks for sharing this information on the headliners....my brother needs one for a sunroof Regal.....I'm sure he'll appreciate reading all of this.

It's also nice to know where to get some proper headliner glue......though my headliner on our '87 GN is still up, there may come a time when it starts to come down.

So thanks, very much appreciated......it'll be a big help for all of us.

Bruce '87 Grand National
From what little I've learned about why they drop, I believe the foam itself deteriorates so more glue will only make a mess.

Start by hooking the outboard ends of the clips into the metal piece outboard lip, then press up on the inboard half of the trim to snap them into place. You'll see that the clips are meant to be hooked on one side, then snapped on the other.
Thanks for the response.
I'll give it a try. I got two out of three on both trim pieces. The center clip is the stubborn one.

Mine started drooping in August. Guess if you were hanging upside down for 27 years you would too! Garage kept it's whole life with only 37,000 miles. Still waiting for mine to arrive, I ordered this one.
ORDER DETAILS:
Item: 20510
Quantity: 1
Description: Buick Grand National '78-'88 Headliner Board 2 Door Hard Top, Without Sunroof, With Factory Map Light
Material: A1810-Medium Dark Grey Headliner Fabric

Mine started drooping in August. Guess if you were hanging upside down for 27 years you would too! Garage kept it's whole life with only 37,000 miles. Still waiting for mine to arrive, I ordered this one.
ORDER DETAILS:
Item: 20510
Quantity: 1
Description: Buick Grand National '78-'88 Headliner Board 2 Door Hard Top, Without Sunroof, With Factory Map Light
Material: A1810-Medium Dark Grey Headliner Fabric

Let us know how it matches !

How did you make out with the tabs I read are guaranteed to brake when changing your headliner?

I only removed the tabs under the driver's side metal trim piece. Then I loosened all the plastics and pulled the old liner out (broken). I had to remove the seatbelt bolt on the driver's side also and the visors of course and the map light which I left plugged in. The rest stayed in and since the new liner is flexible, I just slipped it under the loosened lips and clips everywhere except for the driver's side metal trim. That I had to install last.

I am kind of good at not taking too much stuff apart to accomplish a task though hehe.

Hook it on the INSIDE of the car, that edge of the metal trim has a deeper lip. make sure you slide it over the a pillar trim first.

Got mine installed today, sort of a pain in the ass by yourself but got it done. Yes, all three rear window clips snapped but was ready with new ones. hardest part was the dome light, have the MAP light version, what a funky bracket setup they have for that.

And as far as matching? pretty damn close. No one would ever notice. Funny, my passenger side visor which was fine when I ordered the headliner has started to deteriorate now! Ordered a new pair for now and some extra material. Have the lighted mirror option so will have to get it recovered eventually since that is not offered by anyone.