New guy from Arcadia Ohio

87 Drop top

Wow! Fantastic site! I have spent a little time browsing and really like what i've seen so far. First things first, I am very sorry to hear what Billy from New Jersey is going through, can't imagine someone stealing my car and i've only had it for 5 days, best of luck retreiving your car and the hoping the dirt bags that did it get what they have coming.

Been into cars about my whole life from my first car a 72 skylark custom, which is still parked in my dads barn, to the 70 chevelle ss i restored in high school to an 86 Monte ss, and a 40 chevy coupe. Life forced the sale of of all of em except the skylark. Just out of high school in 93 flipping through a magazine I fell in love with one of the feature cars, An 87 Grand National convertible! I drooled, dreamed, and couldn't get that car out my head for years. Hopes of building one or even just owning a GN were put on hold because of the the whole family thing. Still enjoyed going to car shows, and picked up a harley because I love riding almost as much as cars, but realized it would be a while til I could own a real car again. Then just 3 weeks ago, leafing around on ebay I about crapped my pants that the car I fell in love with almost 20 years ago was for sale right in front of me! In an instant I was back to drooling and dreaming, only now I had the chance to make a dream come true!!!

The 87 vert is now in my garage parked next to the wide glide, and I still have to pinch myself when i see it! Will post some pics soon, not the handiest guy with computers! lol there is a neat write up on the car with some pics at sunsetclassics.com. I know it is only a clone, but a very well done piece of detroit history and I really can't imagine anyone else ever owning it!

Looking forward to chatting with the guys and gals on this site, I'm sure as I get familiar my car I will have tons of questions.
P.S. Looked for the magazine I saw it in at dads the other day, I cut out the article years ago, but must have pitched the magazine. It is the Buick Olds Pontiac collectors edition from Feb 93, Yellow cutlass is the main car on the front page, any help locating a copy would be awesome! Thanks again!

welcome . drop top gns are cool . I just dont dig the way they look with the top up. But the top down that car looks killer. Different is all that counts and its different. Its not every day you see a convertible . I have only seen two others and one was at a Buick dealer in chicago. I asked the guy who built it and he said a company in California did it and it added $9600 to the price of the car.

Great story glad you got the car. Man I just threw away about 10 years worth of Car Craft,Super chevy,,,,, in the trash.
They where taking up too much space. WELCOME to the forum.

welcome.gif

Thanks for the welcome! here are a few pics of the car.

Attachments

• Assualt 006.jpg
    Assualt 006.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Assualt 002.jpg
    Assualt 002.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Assualt 012.jpg
    Assualt 012.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Assualt 013.jpg
    Assualt 013.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Assualt 011.jpg
    Assualt 011.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 132
Glad the pics went through, wasn't sure what is was doing! rude dog, I've thrown out several myself, but thanks for the welcome! chopped 39, yeah the rag top takes away from the original body lines, but i'm sure most of the time the top will be down. got to put a few miles on today, car feels tight and rides very good. had a smile on the whole time i was in it! lol

Been a pretty busy year for me, not much time to mess with the car, one son getting ready to graduated high school and get ready for college, other son almost 16 and wanting to drive all the time! Lol.. just got my addition almost done, I don't think they are ever done though. Well I told myself that this year I wasn't going to let the Buick sit all summer, so after I got it out of storage a few weeks ago, started the spring cleaning list, I saw the flyer for the Buick race day weekend in Norwalk Ohio, I decided me and boys would at least make it to the car show on Sat. What an absolute perfect day! The car ran beautiful there, about 60 miles each way, pulling in was like turbo Buick overload! Let alone the whole row of 69 to 72 GS's and skylarks. Also got to see gnx 250, I got to meet a bunch of really nice and very knowledgeable people. Rick with the white gnx "xray" was a really awesome guy! He worked at asc during the gnx builds, and showed me some things to look for on my car, he was also a part of prototype convertibles for them. All in all a fantastic day and I'm so glad the boys and me made the trip. Not sure of what all went down at the track this weekend, we didn't have time to make it there. Sorry so long, but just had to share my time at this event. Also kudos to the show organizers, great job! Tried to upload some pics, but its not letting me will try again later on.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130428_203820.png
    ForumRunner_20130428_203820.png
    462.8 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20130428_203844.png
    ForumRunner_20130428_203844.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ForumRunner_20130428_203910.png
    ForumRunner_20130428_203910.png
    517.1 KB · Views: 68
  • ForumRunner_20130428_203949.png
    ForumRunner_20130428_203949.png
    500.3 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20130428_204115.png
    ForumRunner_20130428_204115.png
    347.1 KB · Views: 63
You probably got a lot of looks when you pulled up with the top down. Car looks sweet. Thanks for the pictures.