New from Southern Cali

MAK507

hey folks! Against my friend's protests (Nissan 300ZX lover) and with his dad's full support (American muscle runs through his veins, is parked all over his driveway and in the garage, and wishes I was his son, lol) I bought the beloved '87 Grand National.. :)

I suspect head gasket leak, so I am opening her up. Thankfully I live about ten minutes away from the great Duttweiler shop and can always call for any questions - or if I give up and need pro's to take over I can give them a ring. I work full-time, and am a full-time parent and husband which makes working on the GN difficult; dedicating about 3-4 hours a week. Different bolts have been used, many heads stripped, and god knows what else as she starts coming apart.

MAIN CONCERNS-
1. When I was driving her, the rear end would do a wiggle whenever I got on the gas and when I let off.
2. The what I'm assuming is the under tray (the rubber piece under the front bumper) is half there, and I can't find it anywhere online to replace when I finally get into the body restoration.
3. Odometer and Speedometer are NOT connected. Odometer is obviously ROLLED back to 12k miles - when she was last reported on Carfax over 150k

I've been reading the "STOP! You got your GN - park it, and READ THIS" for a week now and I'm thankful to learn that there is such an awesome community dedicated to people who love this car! Can't wait to cruise her down the block like the rest of you!

Welcome to the site. Lots of good info and great people here. Here's some good reading for you. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/ Introduce yourself in the South Western Section. We've got a big show coming up there in just over two months. Post up pics of the GN when you get a chance. Let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome and Happy spooling.:)

Mike Barnard

Welcome to the community.

The rubber piece you are talking about is the radiator box in kit. You can purchase one from gbodyparts.com. They are fairly inexpensive and they come with the push in pins as well. Good luck with the car and I hope you are up and running soon.

Hello and Welcome To Turbobuick.com!!!! :) Good Luck with your project!

Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I definitely need to come on here more. Work + Family = No ME time!

@Mike: Definitely be cool to see some GN Southern Cali love!

@groumoutis: Aww really? I bought my bulletproof header gaskets and rear main seal from there. I've attached a photo (pic is from the Gallery section for members) with arrows. I'm guessing the red arrows are probably air dams, and I'm missing everything that is suppose to be the under tray which is likely what you're referring to. I'm also missing the yellow arrow parts; the fillers. I've seen two different ones online. Some shorter than others. Mine is missing under the headlight all the way down the side of the car. I've got a long list of appearance needs for the car. The strip on the door is also falling off on both sides. And the car seems to have no weather strips, and the front glass is taped down on the corner where the VIN # is... Maybe VIN swapping? Geez idk!

buickmissing.jpg

@longball: Thanks man it IS a project!

The best weather stripping that I've found is from Highway stars. They are a vendor here. I sell nice bumper fillers. click on links in my sig below to see pics, or here's a new thread that talks about the different filler options. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/which-bumper-fillers.393438/
It talks about which ones are good and which ones to stay away from. Your lower air dam should be available from some of the vendors here. Gbody, Highway stars, Kirban's etc. The biggest West Coast car show of the year is in about two months. Here's a link. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...poolfool-cool-car-show-bates-june-2nd.392594/

Mike Barnard

Thanks man. Yea I'm looking at the parts you have and... Wow! Fiberglass? REEAAAL Nice! I HATE the rubber! You'll be in business with me soon :)

That rear end wiggle is probably the rear sway bar bolts being loose or there is no bar at all. Check all the bolts on the control arms, shocks and sway bar.

That should solve that.

Thanks everyone! Finally had time and got the valve covers off to take a look at those sexy blown head gaskets. To further disappoint my journey I found some of the bolts stripped. I managed to get some out. most had "SPS" on them. And there are two or three with a "C" on them, and they're much longer in size. I think this is where I'm taking the hat off, saving up, and paying someone else to do all of this. Life's demands are too much right now to work on her myself and I'd really like to drive her ASAP!

Looks like really bad damage :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366873501.500455.jpg

What are those orange caps near the valve springs? There is one missing in the passenger side.

those caps keep the rocker arms located on the rocker shaft, id try and get that milkshake cleaned up so it doesnt cause rust.

Yeah I hear you. It's definitely been a bitch to get time to work on her. It kills me leaving to work every day and seeing her sit there. Any recommendations to get it all cleaned out?? I heard pouring diesel til the stuff running out is clean...