new ebay headers

Rosewood T-Type said:
I'm running a set of ssautochrome headers no problems w sealing or crossover. only prob is where turbo mounts on flange the nut wouldnt go on because it was to close to collector but nothing a grinding wheel couldnt fix. I grew up with small block chevy stuff and i'm used to fab work to get things to fit just right so these were a breeze. you can see my headers on ebay in the ssautochrome auction for TR headers. They are using my headers as pics for their auction. I actually got them for free inc shipping for sending install pics. Good deal huh.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986...005QQitemZ150043199913QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

So everything went on relatively well and sealed up? The only thing I do not want to do is have to have an O2 bung welded in, and I want everything to seal up... I dont mind grinding, but everything MUST seal... Also what kind if performance gains did ya see/feel? Im thinking about doing this on a basically stock car with a gt3255 turbo... I dont know if I should do these or the downpipe first...

So what's the performance gains from this headers over factory ported headers. Saying you have ported heads, intake, 3.5 downpipe, Gtq 70
turbo, cam.

Car has been 10.70's with factory headers.

I also bought a set of JDMmotorz headers.

Didn't install them yet but they look good and the bolt hole on the pass header is not too bad but not perfect.

Mine also came with the o2 bung welded on.

Factory headers are good, people have been in the low 10(s) with them. The problem is that they don't hold up to high heat very well. I had a set of factory headers jet hot coated and went 10.50 with them. But, the first time off the car they had developed a heat crack. I am hoping the s/s headers will hold up to heat better. Just my .02.

snipersixx said:
So what's the performance gains from this headers over factory ported headers. Saying you have ported heads, intake, 3.5 downpipe, Gtq 70
turbo, cam.

Car has been 10.70's with factory headers.

Yup, its just a matter of time to see how well these hold up.
Haven't gotten any myself. I'm waiting to see how well they fit, and
whether they can withstand the tremendous heat these engines
generate.
At any rate, it doesn't look like these ebay sellers are going down
the tubes or anything. Feedback looks fairly good..etc..

I know the factory headers *can* go in the 10's. But there's surely some performance improvement with these headers. The guy that started this mess ;) picked up 2mph on a 11 sec car. Thats great IMO for $200+ :D . My set came in yesterday, trying to decide if I sould coat them or not to keep a little of the underhood temp down. They "look" great BTW!
Ross L

Rosewood T-Type said:
I'm running a set of ssautochrome headers no problems w sealing or crossover. only prob is where turbo mounts on flange the nut wouldnt go on because it was to close to collector but nothing a grinding wheel couldnt fix. I grew up with small block chevy stuff and i'm used to fab work to get things to fit just right so these were a breeze. you can see my headers on ebay in the ssautochrome auction for TR headers. They are using my headers as pics for their auction. I actually got them for free inc shipping for sending install pics. Good deal huh.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986...005QQitemZ150043199913QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It is hard to tell from the pic. but the crossover pipe look's real close to the passenger side "rear" upper a-arm bushing. Just how close is it?

Rosewood T-Type said:

Does anyone Else run the SS AUTOCHROME Header's with no Problem?.

decarlo sloan said:
just ordered mine they will be here soon got a steal for 200.00 bucks cant wait to install :cool:

Damn thats a deal i paid 334 shipped. How can you go wrong w/ that. Even just the material is worth 200 bucks.

Im also wondering about the SSautochrome ones. im at that point where im either welding the stocks ones AGAIN, or buying replacements, if they come out, i want to keep my options open for replacement rather than refixment. so far the tables are split on the quality and fit, some say crap, some say go for it. i haven't felt this confused since Destinys child split up! :D

Jarnutt said:
Im also wondering about the SSautochrome ones. im at that point where im either welding the stocks ones AGAIN, or buying replacements, if they come out, i want to keep my options open for replacement rather than refixment. so far the tables are split on the quality and fit, some say crap, some say go for it. i haven't felt this confused since Destinys child split up! :D
The ones Tom used...that fit and of good quality....where from JDM Motorz on EBay. Not SSautochrome. They just lack the 02 bung in the stock location.

I guess there is a few different versions out there. I would buy the JDM ones, I have seen first hand that these fit and are true stainless, but again lack the 02 bung.

These are all the same headers..all imported..One manufacturer,quality is better than the leaking POS ATR's that crack all over.

header comparison

My JDMMOTORZ headers came with the 02 bung and I was lucky enough to have a bolt hole big enough to fit 2 bolts in! Lucky me. By the way, sent two emails to them asking nicely for an exchange and no response. I figured I had a 50/50 chance of getting a decent set and I lost. I have ssautochrome and JDMMOTORZ side by side and the only difference is the JDMMOTORZ has thicker v band flanges, they both have an 02 bung and are identical in design. It's just that their tolerances and QC pretty much suck and that's why some fit and some don't. It depends on who's welding, what time of day it is, how much sleep the welder got the night before etc...........I truly believe no two are going to be alike. Fortunately they are cheap, but they are a gamble.

Ive tried to email ssautochrome,and they never respond.My best friend lives right down the road from where they are in Carolina,if i have any probs he can fix them up for me if need be.

what business does an import shop have making cheap GN headers anyways? any place i have ever delt with specializing in Turbo Buicks has bent over backwards to make sure im happy, seems to me that these guys just dont appreciate a good car when they see it, or in this case, they probably never actually SAW the car, just took a stab at making headers using the DUB city diecast car and figured the headers would fit a big boy buick. either way, im welding my stockies, screw wasting time and money. :D

hell, i look at this as were still lucky that there is more then one person even makin parts for our cars ;)

I think I figured it out, most people in the buick world think that the more it cost the better it is! Anytime i can find parts at half of what a vender is selling them for and they are of good quality i am all for it. It should not matter where its made, just as long as they keep making parts for our cars and sell them at a good price.

These headers are all made overseas,these Ebay vendors do not make these,they are all imported.They pay about $100 a set for them,if that.But usually imported things are better than some of the American made garbage sometimes,i hate to say it but its true about alot of things.My $.02