New Clintonian clean air standards-when?

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
Hey Goftsbuick,
Could you discuss the Tier II clitonian (spelled correctly) new clean air standards-when and how difficult it will be. Im in ALA and they claim ground level ozone is the death of us all. And that 8 of our counties will now suddenly have "dirty" air. Would that be a tough inspection, Id suspect that N2o would be the main concern. And what does IM 240 mean?
Its funny , nobody here is worried about it but I say inspections are coming!. (Bush adminstration too scarred to challenge it)
Thanks

From the research I've done, it appears that new light duty trucks will have to meet the same standards as passenger cars, there will be no exemptions on diesel powered vehicles and cleaner fuels. From the 2001 Clean Air conference, it appears Alabama would initiate the program in Jefferson and Shelby counties only (with the addition of other counties). It also appears that the progrma would be centralized, using a test no more stringent than ASM (with OBD2 testing for 1996 model year and later). ASM is a steady state test, usually at 15mph (with 50% of vehcle wieght appied to dyno) and 25mph (with 25% of vehicle weight applied to dyno). This is one of the Federal Test Procedure test to certify a manufacturer. There would probably be a learning curve emissions cutpoint to allow auto technicians to learn how to deal with reducing an additional emission (mainly NOx). And then the emissions cutpoint would slowly reduced to the federal standard. Your car should not have any problems passing ASM 2525 or ASM 5015.

Thanks Gofts,
Was there any mention of about 8 counties being dirty, and what does ASM stand for? Would we have to pass a visual w/a cat, etc?
I know that soot/particulate will also come online. Funny how the articles describe the danger of soot ending with "death" as a possible affect. And RE ground ozone-When pressed, experts here admit that 40% of it is caused by our pine forests.
Thanks, Rick

It does not say anything about a visual inspection. ASM stand for acceleration simulation mode. This is a steady state, steady lode test. Usually 5015 and 2525. Means 50% of the vehicle weigh is applied to the dyno at 15mph and 25% of the vehicle weight is applied to the dyno at 25mph. Some states will test during the acceleration to 15mph and 25mph and sample emissions throughout the whole range. Some states will only sample once the mph is steadied between 14-16mph (ASM5015) and 24-26mph (ASM2525).