New Build loss oil pressure on highway.

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
Well the adventure continues with the car. Going down the expressway last Saturday and the TR6 throws a code 16 (loss cam signal) but the car is still running good and next thing I know the idiot light is on for the oil pressure, I look down at the gage and it's at 0 psi, it takes about 2 seconds and I turn the key off as the engine was still running good. So I get it off the highway and rent a trailer from Uhaul and get it home and let it sit until today. After work I pulled the cam sensor and it looks good, but for good measure I drive the spring pin out to make sure it didn't shear off inside and sure enough it comes out in one piece. Next I put the socket on the crank and turn the motor over and verify that the rocker arm is moving by looking in the oil fill hole. Next I hook the drill up to the primer tool and have my brother watch the oil pressure gage, and the car has oil pressure?? So I did find a video on you tube where the pump shaft spins inside the drive gear of the pump, here is a link, not sure what else to look for.
Any ideas?

Chuck

Same thing happened to me. Going down the interstate and lost oil pressure. Cut it off. Pulled over and fired it back up and heard lifters. Towed it home and swapped cam sensors. Had oil pressure and put thousands of miles on it without problems. Never inspected the old cam sensor although I think I still have it. Curious to know what you find.

Either the cam sensor wasn't down all the way or the gear cracked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the pin that holds the gear on the cam sensor. Last time I was at Richard Clark's he should me some cracked ones. One out of a hot air car, so it is wise to replace that pin whenever you have it out. part number SH2-187-0875-L ROLLPIN 3/16x 7/8 available at Mcmaster car or grangier. cheap insurance.

Cam sensor was down all the way, and clamp bolt was tight. I had 85 psi on cold start, thinking that the high oil pressure is the root cause of this current problem. I do now have several WIX 51049 filters for the remote oil filter which currently has a regular Purolator filter on. This filter brings the oil pressure down from the 85 to about 60 on a cold start, but I didn't have one on hand when I put the cometics on the other week. The front cover is a brand new taperformance unit which came with a new oil pump installed. I have less than 700 miles on this build.

Last edited:
Cam sensor was down all the way, and clamp bolt was tight. I have 85 psi on cold start, thinking that the high oil pressure is the root cause of this current problem. I do now have several WIX 51049 filters for the remote oil filter which currently has a regular Purolator filter on. This filter brings the oil pressure down from the 85 to about 60 on a cold start, but I didn't have one on hand when I put the cometics on the other week.
Thats not normal oil psi drop from a filter. Time to dive into your pump and check everything over.

Cam sensor was down all the way, and clamp bolt was tight. I had 85 psi on cold start, thinking that the high oil pressure is the root cause of this current problem. I do now have several WIX 51049 filters for the remote oil filter which currently has a regular Purolator filter on. This filter brings the oil pressure down from the 85 to about 60 on a cold start, but I didn't have one on hand when I put the cometics on the other week. The front cover is a brand new taperformance unit which came with a new oil pump installed. I have less than 700 miles on this build.
The pressure in the hi side of the gear pocket is likely much higher. Id investigate the cavity. Modification can be done to reduce internal pressure. I'd be worried if cold pressure was 60psi (assuming oil at 60* as cold). No matter what I've done I usually see 80psi or higher with cold oil. I prefer to set the bypass up to hit 70-75psi on the gauge which is taken off the port on the front right side of the block. Plenty of room for variation on setup of the gear pocket. I personally would never bolt one on without measuring all of it.

So 85 psi on a cold start is not to high? I never had that amount of pressure before this new front cover was installed interesting...

I've seen around 100 psi cold.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

How much oil pressure does the gauge show show when you ran the pump
with the drill? Was it full 60# or something lower?
And what weight oil are you using?
It is normal to to see 80# at start up cold with a good oil pump and good bearing clearances, as the oil heats
the idle pressure will come down to whatever the idle speed and clearances will allow hopefully more than 20#
......Now certain brand oils will thin out more than others even if there rated the same viscosity.
Your pressure regulator spring and oil weight should be set-up to give 60# minimum at high rpm.....if your combo spends any time over 5600 rpm a few more psi would be ok and if you spend a lot of time at 6000+ I want 70-75 hot.

I do not understand how your different oil filter dropped the cold pressure 25 Pounds? unless it is seriously restrictive,
and if that is the case the high pressure is still there it just is not making it into the engine.
Our cam sensors have a lot of movement up and down unless you have installed distributor shims to reduce this,
and I would really want to verify the depth of engagement from the cam sensor shaft into the oil pump shaft. With parts tolerance stack ups you never know what you have with aftermarket covers and there machine work.
Do you have a billet roller cam with the multi piece distributor gear assembly or the cast roller with integral gear?
Its easy to pull the oil pump gears out in the car to have a look.....that video was scary with that cracked gear i would be looking every thing over with extra scrutiny.

Look at the pin that holds the gear on the cam sensor. Last time I was at Richard Clark's he should me some cracked ones. One out of a hot air car, so it is wise to replace that pin whenever you have it out. part number SH2-187-0875-L ROLLPIN 3/16x 7/8 available at Mcmaster car or grangier. cheap insurance.
He did look at it, drove it out and was still in one piece.

Of these two, I think the oil pump gear is most likely because of the sudden loss at highway speed. They made no mention of beat up cam sensor gear which I would expect to see if it popped loose right?

If it only happens at highway speed I'm wondering if you're frothing the oil. Have you verified that it's not overfull?

That won't explain your cam sensor code though.

If it only happens at highway speed I'm wondering if you're frothing the oil. Have you verified that it's not overfull?

That won't explain your cam sensor code though.
Off topic but Earl, welcome back!! I need a front cover please! Sorry for the thread jack, op.

Hello Guys,

I've been sick but my brother Joe came over and we wrenched on the Buick, 85 lbs pressure with the drill, pulled #1 plug and rotated to 25 degrees past TDC and set the cam sensor. While installing the cam sensor, this time we heard it snap in as the O-ring entered the front cover. The car started right up with 85 psi and we took it for a 20 mile ride, hot idle pressure is 20 psi and it's running great. The thought is that the cam sensor was not seated correctly last time, thanks for all the help and comments, I'm a happy camper again and I'm blaming it on wearing glasses. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Chuck

Good to hear that your back up and running again! You needed a break after all of the bad luck.

Nice call by Bison too.

Hello Guys,

I've been sick but my brother Joe came over and we wrenched on the Buick, 85 lbs pressure with the drill, pulled #1 plug and rotated to 25 degrees past TDC and set the cam sensor. While installing the cam sensor, this time we heard it snap in as the O-ring entered the front cover. The car started right up with 85 psi and we took it for a 20 mile ride, hot idle pressure is 20 psi and it's running great. The thought is that the cam sensor was not seated correctly last time, thanks for all the help and comments, I'm a happy camper again and I'm blaming it on wearing glasses. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Chuck
That's good to hear. But the camshaft gear didn't grind on the cam sensor gear and show marking of some kind? It does explain the cam code that popped up.

That's good to hear. But the camshaft gear didn't grind on the cam sensor gear and show marking of some kind? It does explain the cam code that popped up.
No marks on the cam sensor gear.

I did disassemble the cam sensor when I had it out and discovered the shaft had years of tried up oil on it. A little scotchbrite and brake cleaner then some fresh oil on it during reassembly, it now spins with even less resistance. I've put another 200 miles on it and it still running great. I pulled the yellow spring out of the oil pressure regulator and put in the orange one, now the oil pressure maxes out at 65 when starting it up cold, I'm more comfortable with that.

Chuck

Last edited: