New Battery?

GN86BEWARE

Ready For The Ride!!
Figured out today that I need a new Battery. I was thinking Optima Red top. Any Better suggestions?

The AC/Delco today is not the same battery of yesterday.They are not made by the same supplier,they are physically different.:rolleyes:We have had many problems with AC.Delco products at work from starers,batteries,shocks, plug wires etc:mad:It appears their need for better profits has effected their Q/C:rolleyes:JMHO

Kevin

Have a look at Braille batteries,real cool stuff.We just ordered 1 for my friends superstocker:cool:For everyday cars I like Napa batteries but we have only used for a year or so:rolleyes:

Kevin

Went with the red Duralast. No problems with it. Have an Optima Red Top on my Regal since 2003. No problems as well.

Think I am goin to buy the optima red top. $161. Unless the platnium diehard or duralast is alot cheaper when i check in the morning. Plus I am going to put it on my expense account anyways.....

Optima Battery/Battery
Part Number:
75-25

Price:
$149.99

Core*Core value is the used part that manufacturers use for rebuilding. AutoZone charges the core value to customers because manufacturers include it in their prices. When you return your core to AutoZone, we'll refund your core charge.:
$12.00

Total:
$161.99
Warranty:

3 YR
Notes:

Dual terminal*** 720 cold cranking Amps (910 cranking Amps) *** 90 reserve minutes. -> 3 year free replacement <- Red top.

Gold-Duralast/Battery
Part Number:
75-DLG

Price:
$84.99

Core*Core value is the used part that manufacturers use for rebuilding. AutoZone charges the core value to customers because manufacturers include it in their prices. When you return your core to AutoZone, we'll refund your core charge.:
$12.00

Total:
$96.99
Warranty:

8 YR
Notes:

*** 700 cold cranking Amps (875 cranking Amps) *** 95 reserve minutes. -> 3 year free replacement <-

REDTOP Duralast/Battery
Part Number:
75-DL

Price:
$74.99

$12.00

Total:
$86.99
Warranty:

7 YR
Notes:

*** 650 cold cranking Amps (810 cranking Amps) *** 95 reserve minutes. -> 2 year free replacement <-

as listed for 86 Turbo, south texas zip

Good opinions,who makes the duralast:confused:We do not have those in Canada:rolleyes:

Kevin

This is what my repair shop friend told me almost word for word, they key being there are 3 manufacturers. I've also run Hawker Odessey too to save weight.

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."

I have an AC Delco up front and an Optima Yellow in the trunk, and if i just leave the hood ,trunk, and doors open for 15 minutes, the car won't start. I think my next setup will be 2 Optima Blue tops. They way i see it, if the Blue tops hold their own on demanding applications such as RV's and boats, it should be more than enough to handle whatever our TR's can throw at it.

Diehard Platinum is so far best battery I've had.

Optima red top was junk - many threads on this (some owners have better luck than I did).

battery

No one said Interstate,I have 3 Interstate batteries over 9 years old, and NO
problems.Mark.

I have a red top in the GN. My alternator went out and I drove home about 50 miles in the dark with lights on. Volts were about 8 when I got home. Battery Tender and no problem. That is the only experience I had with it.

I have Interstate Megatrons in my other cars. Really like them and they charge nice after I absolutely killed one. Intstate is a real good battery. The top of the line Duralast is about the same price as the Interstate.

I have an Optima Red Top in my car now and it has been great. The older Optima Red Tops were pretty poor but the newer ones seem to be much better. I would never use a AC Delco! The factory AC Delco battery in my GMC truck blew up while sitting in my shop. The truck only had about 20K miles on it and I went to back it out of my shop and it was dead. I rasied the hood and the battery was in pieces! The battery cables were hanging down under the truck with the battery posts still attached!:eek: I went to Autozone to buy a new battery and I told the guy that my previous battery blew up and before I mentioned the brand he said "let me guess--AC Delco battery" and he told me that mine was not the first one he had heard of blowing up for no reason.