New 4.1 build, Starts and runs for 5 seconds then Dies - Need the GN Gods!

If someone with a TR is close to you and uses an MAF translator maybe they can hop by and do a quick swap.

That also happened to me this year and the MAF was the issue. Mike from RI came down and swapped his. And it was clearly the problem.

D

The Translator Plus that I have is Very OLD and is actually not even in production anymore...I wonder if I should just order a new one and see if that is the problem. I know these kind of things can happen over night for no reason at all but it was running just fine with this translator until I did the rebuild and tried to restart it.

If you can keep the engine running by delta TPS(moving throttle), it seems as only the AE event is keeping the engine running until there is no delta TPS? Seems like a MAF issue to me. What are the LV8 readings if you can keep it running?

YOU win! I went out into the garage to start the car and force it to run so I could get the LV8 readings and it ran like a champ! I shut it down a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it ran great and idled like a champ! I have absolutely NO idea what "ficed" it but I give you the credit because I wouldn't have tried it again unless I made another change! Any thoughts on why it would have done this and now all of the sudden it runs like it is supposed to?

Where your lifters completely pumped up? Years ago I had a very similar issue with my first roller cam and then wolla it just started and ran fine. Lifters where new and I did not soak them very long. They where noisey until they bleed out all the air so hence my theory on the issue.

You really need to get a power logger otherwise it will be very hard to determine what's going on

BPE2013@hotmail.com
I agree, can you help explain to me what I need to do in order to get the data from a power logger? It is my understanding that I need an old windows 98 laptop (of which I am sure I can find somewhere). This car does have a data cable poking out of the dash but I really have no idea if the ECM is "ready for that or not? I am new to this game but trying to learn quickly...the hep from you guys is amazing!

The Power logger will in the bottom of the ECM plugged in if you have one , if so you need to load the PL program on your computer and get it set up and then you will be ready to do some logging .

The Power logger will in the bottom of the ECM plugged in if you have one , if so you need to load the PL program on your computer and get it set up and then you will be ready to do some logging .
I should have looked before you posting that...I don't have a power logger...the cable I have plugs into the bottom of the ECM but it is flat (about 3-4" wide) and then runs to an analog VGA cable. I am not sure what that is but I will order a power logger this afternoon so I can know what is going on with this thing! Thanks guys!

I should have looked before you posting that...I don't have a power logger...the cable I have plugs into the bottom of the ECM but it is flat (about 3-4" wide) and then runs to an analog VGA cable. I am not sure what that is but I will order a power logger this afternoon so I can know what is going on with this thing! Thanks guys!
Sounds like you have the predecessor of PL. It works fine for what you are trying to do, but PL is a bit more advanced.

That's an old scanning system. Forget the name, think it ran on win 98. If I remember correctly that ribbon cable could produce interference and make the engine run weird. Think they made a shielded cable for it too. The PL will operate on XP to win 8 so any newer laptop will work. Make absolutely sure you clean the fingers that the PL mounts to. You might try a stock MAF to test that Maftranslator. It might be flaking out.

That's an old scanning system. Forget the name, think it ran on win 98. If I remember correctly that ribbon cable could produce interference and make the engine run weird. Think they made a shielded cable for it too. The PL will operate on XP to win 8 so any newer laptop will work. Make absolutely sure you clean the fingers that the PL mounts to. You might try a stock MAF to test that Maftranslator. It might be flaking out.
I think that may be the old "DirectScan" if I am not mistaken.

YOU win! I went out into the garage to start the car and force it to run so I could get the LV8 readings and it ran like a champ! I shut it down a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it ran great and idled like a champ! I have absolutely NO idea what "ficed" it but I give you the credit because I wouldn't have tried it again unless I made another change! Any thoughts on why it would have done this and now all of the sudden it runs like it is supposed to?
Sometimes a flaky connection between the EEPROM and socket will cause a LHM situation without a CEL present, or interference from other devices connected to the ECM, as stated above. I was thinking it may have been a flaky MAF, or connection, or translator, which is why I asked if you could observe any LV8 readings in the datastream.

Where your lifters completely pumped up? Years ago I had a very similar issue with my first roller cam and then wolla it just started and ran fine. Lifters where new and I did not soak them very long. They where noisey until they bleed out all the air so hence my theory on the issue.
I had the same symptoms as the OP in the last rebuild I did. It started and ran for a few seconds and then would die. My kid fell or something which distracted me for 15 minutes or so. Went back to try and troubleshoot and bam. Fired up and never had a problem again. I think it was the roller lifters as I didn't soak them either. Primed engine first of course, had good oils out all of the pushrods and figured good enough.
Or maybe all the new parts needed some foreplay before the magic. Who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My POS does this as well. 3 mafs and the same with them all. One that came with the car, one from parts store, one is known good from another car.

Pull the chip and it idles and never stalls. Got another chip and injectors coming...I hope that fixes it.

Mine started doing it again tonight...frustrating! I emailed Eric again so we will see what he suggests. At this point I don't believe it is the MAF...it ran fine for three days and then all of the sudden for no reason and nothing changing it starts and dies after 5 seconds. It acts like you shut off the fuel even though the fuel pressure stays solid at 65 PSI

Mine started doing it again tonight...frustrating! I emailed Eric again so we will see what he suggests. At this point I don't believe it is the MAF...it ran fine for three days and then all of the sudden for no reason and nothing changing it starts and dies after 5 seconds. It acts like you shut off the fuel even though the fuel pressure stays solid at 65 PSI
Have you gone over every pin and connector that has to do with the the fuel injection?

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Which maf do you have? When i had the lt1 maf (3") and the extender chip, the car would start, run for a few seconds, then die.

Have you gone over every pin and connector that has to do with the the fuel injection?

BPE2013@hotmail.com
Yes I have...I know it is something simple like that though. I am leaning toward it being a chip problem but will see what Eric says now that it has done it again. Eric has MUCH more knowledge about these things that I do.

I was going to post a pic of the motor before I put it in the other day but couldn't upload anything. Now that I can here it is...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 118