neutral lockout

Does my 84 t type have a neutral safety lockout?

It is built into the column as a mechanical lockout. At least on the '86 & '87s it is. Can't turn the key unless the column sleeve (rotating part) is in the correct position.

I recently discovered this when I cleaned the switch that is located at the bottom of the column. Just two sets of contacts, one for the back up lights, the other for the P/N input to the ECM. Huh, where are the heavy gauge wires for the P/N safety lockout. I found a wiring diagram that stated the P/N safety interlock is mechanical.

RemoveBeforeFlight

i was just asking because i put in an aftermarket shifter and i dont remeber anything on the old shifter and my reverse lights dont work.

There is a metal rod that runs from the trans lever up to the column, actually more then just a rod, has some pivots and such (I posted pic's of this a month or two ago). This rotates a tab inside of the column that operates the back up light and ECM's P/N input switch.

Under the dash top side of column, near the firewall, white plastic piece that clips to the column. This is the switch assembly. The grease dries out and no longer makes contact. Can carefully open it for a cleaning and re-greasing. Note that it is a pain to get it back into place.

It is then adjusted by sliding part of the assembly left/right.

RemoveBeforeFlight